• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composer wanted for ambitious film project

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Composer wanted for ambitious film project

Hi guys!

I am looking for a composer to write and perform the score of a feature film thriller. The movie is shot no-budget in Germany with English actors by a small group of experienced professionals (no rookies). Shooting will start in June/July, post-production is supposed to be finished by November at the latest. We have contact to a worldwide (small) distributor, who might distribute the movie as a HD-DVD. Theatrical release for film festivals only, everything else is extremely unlikely.

I have hardly any knowledge of musical terms, so please excuse my way to express myself: The type of music I am looking for consists of two elements: One is the typical "unsymphonic" "non-melodic" score that creates suspense and uneasiness (think of horror-movies), the other is the kind of "Bernard Hermann" score type, with slow and fast windwoods and strings. More on this later.

We can't pay you in advance. You'll get a share once the movie is sold (share will have to be negotiated and set in a contract), but don't expect any money before summer 2007.

If this sounds interesting to you, I will mail you a two-page treatment (screenplay won't be available within the next 4 weeks, story and outline are finished), as well as a few links and info about who I am and what we do. If you're still interested after evaluating that material, I'd like to see (hear ) something from you.

Hope to hear from you soon! Please PM/Email me for contact (click on my username).

Cheers, Jan

Re: Composer wanted for ambitious film project

First, I wish you much success with this project. Secondly, I strongly believe you have come to the right place. There are many extremely talented and well-rounded composers here that can live up to the task! Your problem will be sifting through the many great composers on this forum! I suggest you check out some of the power users and compositions on the demo page as well.
    Much luck and please share a sample later on once finished.
    Styxx

Hi Jan,

Depending on the scope of the project (i.e. exactly how many minutes/hours worth of music you need) I may be interested in giving it a shot. You can reach me at mattssound@hotmail.com

Talk to you soon,
    MsP

I would take this chance if it wasn't for finals coming up. Just give me until early-mid June, than I could be ready for a project like this. Of course I'll be out for a week in June...but more on that later.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by janbee
    Hi guys!

I have hardly any knowledge of musical terms, so please excuse my way to express myself: The type of music I am looking for consists of two elements: One is the typical "unsymphonic" "non-melodic" score that creates suspense and uneasiness (think of horror-movies), the other is the kind of "Bernard Hermann" score type, with slow and fast windwoods and strings. More on this later.
    Cheers, Jan
    Do yourself a favour. Don't talk in musical terms in the first place - use emotions as your descriptive requirements - and don't mention Bernard Herrmann.

Thanks for the numerous replies, guys! I'll get back to everyone in a few days.

@Styxx: Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the compositions, but I've been contacted by very talented composers already - I'm confident to find, what I want. Great forum, great people!

@mattsound: I've emailed you more info.

@C J Pro: This is actually an early "scan". From what you've written I could imagine it fits in your schedule, but we'll have to see. Why don't you write me an email once you're less busy. June would be fine.

@PaulR: Good advice, I'll try to, thanks! I'd REALLY like to hear more about the "Herrmann"-phobia one day

Quote Originally Posted by janbee
    I'd REALLY like to hear more about the "Herrmann"-phobia one day
    It's not a phobia - no, not at all. It's more an impossibilty. People have tried though.

My style may be changing a little now due to a minor factor. Now to go blow off the rest of my Friday messing with it.

I should be able to compose for you in June. Check the Listen forum for some of my music. Too lazy to post it here. Now, I've got some procrastinating to do.
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    My style may be changing a little now due to a minor factor. Now to go blow off the rest of my Friday messing with it.

I should be able to compose for you in June. Check the Listen forum for some of my music. Too lazy to post it here. Now, I've got some procrastinating to do.
    Wow! What attitude! I'd be ashamed to admit these things - you're in high school right? Explains everything

Good luck!
    Steph

Yes, I am in high school and haven't even had experience performing in or seeing an actual orchestra. Of course, there's always pit orchestras...

Also, a little off topic, why is the Native Instruments site down? Nevermind, it is back up now...
    Colton J. Provias
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum