• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sat Gamaya, Op. 32

Share/Bookmark

Sat Gamaya, Op. 32

Here is the piece I composed for Flute, Oboe, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn in F, Trumpet in C, Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Marimba, Piano, and String Quintet that was premiered by the UT New Music Ensemble on April 23. This is NOT the live recording, but a GPO rendering because of the issues with securing rights from all 16 performers and the school. :P

The movement names are from a Hindu Schloka and translate as follows (click to hear):

I. Asatoma Sat Gamaya (From lies, lead me to the truth)

II. Tamasoma Jyotir Gamaya (From Darkness lead me to Light)

III. Mrityorma Anritam Gamaya (From Mortality, lead me to Immortality)
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Sat Gamaya, Op. 32

Jess,

I only have time to listen to the first movement - in the next weeks I doubt I'll have time to check back, so I wanted to express my congratulations on a fine work! I'll get to the other movements as time permits (sigh). Excellent writing, very assured and controlled; the movement develops and flows very well, and its characters are strongly articulated. I hope this gets many listens from the group - it deserves it.

R. Pearl

Bravo!

A major achievement, Jess, and a fine one.

I've listened to all three movements of the piece with much pleasure in the craftsmanship and quality of the writing. As I have so often said before, Jess, you never disappoint!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jess,

Well, I have time for the second movement - glad I came back! Very beautiful writing. While the language is more traditional, it sounds very natural - you "speak" this vernacular very well. It must have been a thrill to hear this done live, yes?

Looking forward to movement three. Sorry to do this on the installment plan, but at least it give it a bump!

Well done.

R. Pearl

Thanks for the compliments so far!

Yes, hearing this performed live was a big thrill and hopefully the Contemporary Music Ensemble here at UT will flourish and more works by living composers will be given life.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum