• Register
  • Help

Topic: CD FINALLY released!

Share/Bookmark

CD FINALLY released!

Vol. 8 of Masterworks of the New Era, ERM Media has FINALLY been released after months of waiting. It is a two CD set.

Andy Brick is on CD 1, Track 9 with the incredible "Hungarian Overture." This work in a very fine piece of writing and orchestration. Congratulations are due Andy!

My piece, "Nightwinds," follows Andy on CD 1, Track 10. I am very pleased with the result. The brass is bright and biting, the woodwinds are beautifully silky and the strings are smooth. Of course it is somewhat different than the GPO rendering, but that is to be expected with a live orchestra.

Some day I hope to do the DPDan thing by cutting sections of the live and GPO in a side-by-side comparison.

The entire CD is awesome. There are some incredible pieces on it and some very fine composers.

Vol 8 is available at most of the online outlets and ERM Media.
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Thumbs up Re: CD FINALLY released!

COOL! Congratulations!
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: CD FINALLY released!

Great news! I'll order my copy later today.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: CD FINALLY released!

Congratulations ChoralBoss.

I was just listening to Nightwinds recently. I am looking forward to hearing the live orchestra version. And being on the CD with Andy's HO is a nice bonus.

I think its a good idea to do a comparison. Do you have a video of the performance?

Also, could you provide us a link to where to order the CD.

Bravo Maestro ChoralBoss!

Gary Garritan

Hey Ern

What Vol is your next piece on? I have another piece, "Sempter Fi Fanfare" on Vol. 10. Maybe that one will be out by October :-)
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Congratulations!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

For those who are interested, ERM Media has put out a call for scores for Vol. 12 of the Masterworks series. The deadline is May 15. I'm planning to submit "The Starry Messenger."

I think you'll need to contact them to have information sent to you. Their website is http://www.numusic.org/index.php
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Great news.
    I absolutely adored Nightwinds, when I first heard it on the Forum.

I hope you post some new pieces soon.

regards Joe

Hi all,

Thanks for your words ChoralBoss.

There is a reason Nightwinds is last on the CD. Much like a magazine, the first and last page are the important ones. The first draws you in but the last is the one you remember upon first listening! Nightwinds is a great piece! And I totally dig that little percussion break in the middle followed by that wandering little string/wind section. Very cool ;-)

I definitely encourage all of you to check out ERM. Mstro Ian Winston and crew have put together a very attractive package that makes the whole process very appealing to the composer, retailer and consumer. They also do some pretty good promotion. I have heard a number of Masterworks compositions on shows like Fresh Ink. They even pay royalties to the composers.

I too was happy with my piece. His interpretation was different than mine but tasteful and artistic. He opened up the end of the piece with quite a nice pause before the flute solo. It created a sense of anticipation that I had never expected. It was wonderful.

So congrats again ChoralBoss. Personally, I think your track is one of the best on the CD.

Andy
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Congratulations ChoralBoss.

I think its a good idea to do a comparison. Do you have a video of the performance?

Also, could you provide us a link to where to order the CD.

Gary Garritan
    No video, the performance was a typical recording situation. I was there and they did mutiple "takes" of each section...some 30+. Good thing too, because there were 3 wrong notes due to accidentals that were in the score but that did not show on parts.

All of the ERM series is available from ERM as well as Amazon.com

http://www.numusic.org

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick

There is a reason Nightwinds is last on the CD. Much like a magazine, the first and last page are the important ones. The first draws you in but the last is the one you remember upon first listening!

Andy
    Hey Andy, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this and I had no idea about the placement on the CD. My first reaction was disappointment that it was last. Figured it was the alphabetical thing with W being at the end. Your comments made my day! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Brick

I definitely encourage all of you to check out ERM. Mstro Ian Winston and crew have put together a very attractive package that makes the whole process very appealing to the composer, retailer and consumer. They also do some pretty good promotion. I have heard a number of Masterworks compositions on shows like Fresh Ink. They even pay royalties to the composers.

Andy
    I absolutely agree with Andy. The package is reasonable and ERM Media does a very good job of promotion and distribution. I've gotten to know the conductor, Robert Ian Winstin, very well and he is absolutely dedicated to making new music available. He is tireless in the recording session and is extremely patient with the orchestra and the recording producer. He is a large, gregarious man with long curly hair with a great laugh, great sense of humor and a love for music and people. His wife Susan is a charming Virgina Southern "Belle."

Robert is totally dedicated to raising up new musicians as well. He conducts two youth symphonies in Virginia.

If any of you have music ready to go, you should seriously think about submitting for Vol. 12.

Go Back to forum