• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity curves issue on the Keystation?

Share/Bookmark

Velocity curves issue on the Keystation?

Hi,
    I would like to buy an inexpensive 88 keys controller and seriously thinking about the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, but I've been hearing some complaints regarding it's velocity curves issue.
    Actually what exactly is the 'velocity curves' anyway?
    (Please bare with me...)

Thanks.

hc.

Re: Velocity curves issue on the Keystation?

I have a Keystation 88. Velocity curves are a little hard to describe in words, but basically they give you a way to control how sensitive the keys are to output the different MIDI velocity levels (1-127). But instead of just having some simple 'Sensitivity' control or something, they get fancy and actually provide sensitivities that vary along the range from 1 to 127. If you graph the different responses at different velocity levels, that's the 'curve'. So one curve may be set up to only output quite low values up until the key velocity gets very high, then suddenly outputs high values. Others might output quite high values even at low velocities. Different curves are useful for different types of sounds - percussion, etc.

I don't know of any issues with the Keystation with velocity curves - can you tell me where you've heard that? I'd be interested to know what they're talking about.

buzz

I also use it, problem free. Its been a excellent product..

I also use it and enjoy it. I just wish that it had aftertouch...and maybe the breath controller interface that comes on the cme boards.
    P4 3.20 GHz, 2GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2, RME Multiface
    Sonar 4 PE, Ableton Live 5, NI Komplete 2/KC 2005, Sound Forge 8, Keysation Pro 88, Trigger Finger

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper
    I have a Keystation 88. Velocity curves are a little hard to describe in words, but basically they give you a way to control how sensitive the keys are to output the different MIDI velocity levels (1-127). buzz
    Buzz, are you able to direct me on how to control the keyboard's sensitivity? I couldn't find it in the manual, and am a little bit of a loss. This could be useful to know! Thanks!

Best! -Tweed

Tweed -

You can find the velocity curves on p. 9 of the manual. In the upper left of the keyboard, you'll see 'velocity curve' under 2 of the buttons - press them both at the same time and you'll see C1 in the display (or whatever your curve is currently set for, possible values are C0-C8). Just press the +/- to change the value. Nuttin' to it.

I have sometimes wished there were different curves available, maybe that's part of the negative comments? Can't think of anything else...

buzz

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper
    Tweed -

You can find the velocity curves on p. 9 of the manual. In the upper left of the keyboard, you'll see 'velocity curve' under 2 of the buttons - press them both at the same time and you'll see C1 in the display (or whatever your curve is currently set for, possible values are C0-C8). Just press the +/- to change the value. Nuttin' to it.

I have sometimes wished there were different curves available, maybe that's part of the negative comments? Can't think of anything else...

buzz
    buzz-man...thanks for your help! After not seeing those particular words on the keyboard, and *certainly* knowing there isn't a display, I came to the quick realization that I erred on what keystation you were talking about. I thought you were talking about the 88es...not the Pro My bad.

Sorry 'bout that!

Best to you! -Tweed

Go Back to forum