• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is Precisionsound the only company that has a celtic tin whistle?

Share/Bookmark

Is Precisionsound the only company that has a celtic tin whistle?

Hello everyone. I love the demos on Precision Sound's website of their celtic tin whistle.

Has anyone bought this? Does it sound as good to play it in your own productions as it sounds in theirs?

Does anyone else have such a product? If so, who?

Also, their pan flute sounds pretty darn good in their demos. Same questions as above.

Lastly, at $29, their Monzter guitars seem almost too inexpensive - are they worth buying or will it be a collection that just sits there and rots (I bought a choir product that will never see light of day on any of my productions - I don't want to mention the name so as to slander anyone or anything - I only spent $40 on it, but that's not the point. I guess you get what you pay for - I bought Bela D Media children's choir (more expensive of course) and will use it in tons and tons of productions - it just sounds that FANTASTIC. Even EWQL Silver has some great excerpts from VOTA and is wonderfully useable).

I have a guitarist, but sometimes at 3a.m. I am not going to call him and ask him to come over and record - and his guitars are always going out of tune. I missed the LPC guitars group buy and am kicking myself every hour on the hour for doing so - but I just cannot afford their products otherwise at the moment.

Any thoughts? Bela D Media has a $150 product for electric guitars and it seems pretty good. Of course, I bought Vintaudio's guitars and can put them through distortion effects - will I get the same thing doing that as buying these sample collections for electric crunch guitars?

I apologize for the multitude of questions, but I am trying to finish up my buying spree and have everything I need to do my productions - it seems a nice celtic whistle, panflute and crunch guitars are all that remains.

Thank you all for your time and effort.

Mike

Re: Is Precisionsound the only company that has a celtic tin whistle?

eastwest and bigfishaudio both sell celtic libraries with whistles in them

I own most of Precisionsound's releases (which should tell you something in and of itself.) I've found their products to be of very high quality and playability. There's not one I'm dissatisfied with. The Celtic Tin Whistle, while limited in articulations, is very playable and expressive. Much the same can be said of most of their products. There are a few, like the Swedish Keyharp, that have a good number of articulations, but most have the important sustains and short notes. Monzter Guitars is a great guitar library. It doesn't sound like anything else out there, being way overdriven and hard. If you'll like it or not depends on how much you like the sound of the guitar in the demos on their site. I don't have the update (Monzter Guitars II) but it adds more playing styles to the product along with more chords and single notes.

All in all, I always heartily recommend Precisionsounds downloads. I've been extremely happy and Lars has always taken care of me as a customer (he even fixed a screw-up of mine after payment had taken place.)

Monzter guitars rock (doh)...
    ....If you are looking for a phat tone like Linkin park/Evanescence and you are contained with just power chords and chugs. Anything else, and it won't cut it.

And I wasn't able to get a tone like that at all with my Yamaha pacifica guitar and V-amp2. Not even close.

WestGate also have one:

http://www.westgatestudios.com/wc_expanded.htm

- Bo

Thank you everyone. I especially love that I can buy a celtic tin whistle - maybe not play it well - but I can try at least!!! I will be buying that.

Thank you for the link to westgate - not what I was looking for, but their free trumpet samples are pretty darn good actually!!!

There is a gentlmen named Herman Witkam that has a website devoted to unique and ethnic instruments and has a tin whitle that sounds pretty good. He also has bolivian panpipes and his pvc flute is astonishingly good. Moreover, he gives this away gratis - if I find them useable I shall donate some cash to him for such great work. I highly advise you all stop by his website and say "hello" and ask for a free username and password - he has a huge assortment of free stuff, over 25 of them, and they are all very well recorded - which makes my decision to buy from precisionsound even harder (how can you possibly beat free?). But, so many people have said how good precisionsound is (here and at KVR) that I will more than likely pick up at least Monzter Guitars and probably the panflute and tin whistle sets - their demos sound so amazingly well done, these have to sound as good.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Clausen
    Is a penny whistle the same as a tin whistle?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I own most of Precisionsound's releases (which should tell you something in and of itself.) I've found their products to be of very high quality and playability. There's not one I'm dissatisfied with. The Celtic Tin Whistle, while limited in articulations, is very playable and expressive. Much the same can be said of most of their products. There are a few, like the Swedish Keyharp, that have a good number of articulations, but most have the important sustains and short notes.[...]
    Sorry slightly off-topic, but I just can't resist. I have never tried their Swedish Keyharp library myself, but as a player of that instrument I think those demos are among the worst thing I've ever heard.
    Just compare the demo of the sampled one to the real thing (another sample)! (It's not me playing)

It's true. Take a Kazoo, for example (don't laugh, I actually sampled one for a e-zine project I am working on). Now, a Kazoo does not take a brain surgeon to operate or get good at. I sampled a nice long note on several octaves (I am a blow hard, so two octaves worked fine for me) and then mapped those to make a sample set for the synth I am working with.

Trying to play a lead as hard as I might on the keyboard, I cannot come close to simply sitting and buzz buzz buzzing on the Kazoo. Isn't that just amazing. Yet, we all create the really great sounding scores with sample collections. What must we be missing sonically?????

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    Sorry slightly off-topic, but I just can't resist. I have never tried their Swedish Keyharp library myself, but as a player of that instrument I think those demos are among the worst thing I've ever heard.
    Just compare the demo of the sampled one to the real thing (another sample)! (It's not me playing)
    This could be a case of the demo maker not really understanding the instrument in use, which is the problem with 50% of all demos anyway.

Go Back to forum