• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Has anyone had good or bad experience with Vintaudio?

Share/Bookmark

Has anyone had good or bad experience with Vintaudio?

Hello everyone. I am not starting this thread to bash a company or product nor do I like speaking badly of anything, so I will simply tell my experience and see if anyone else has had this.

I bought the group buy from Vintaudio a month or so back and really fell in love with the demos of their products.

I received my product 3 weeks after they said they shipped it - has anyone else had THIS long of a waiting period? They are in Canada and I am in the USA (Florida). I shipped a client's DVD (in DVD case) to Canada Monday of this past week and they received it Friday afternoon - sent with USPS to Canada.

Although I had no problems at all with the guitar product (and they sound pretty darn good, if not terribly imaginitive - no loops, just straight guitar - but they sound great for what they are - I did have problems installing the Yamaha C7 DVDs - lots of cyclic redundancy errors and that kind of thing - and since it is on several DVDs, you can imagine the pain in the butt that was.

I was, however, able to copy each sample file and .nki instrument individually and they now work in Kontakt 2 (although every once in a while, anything using the convolution file they included crashes Kontakt 2 and my computer - nothing else I have does this). Overall, a fantastic sounding collection when it works. I have the best luck with the player perspective intruments. The ambient and close mic positions have crashed my system.

I have bought many other DVD sample collections, like Kirk Hunter, Bela D Media, EWQL and others with really no problems.

Lastly, the upright pianos DVD - the entire reason I purchased this set, was scratched up beyond recognition. I cannot in any way at all copy it to my hard drive - it is unuseable. I emailed Vintaudio and after a few days, they emailed me back. I asked if it was possible to maybe download a zipped or winrarred version considering the 3 week waiting period from the first set. They said in so many words "No" and explained they are not set up to do that. Fair enough. It has been several weeks later and still no DVD.

Do any of you think this is fair? Am I being a jerk about maybe expecting a bit more service? I dunno - I send my clients their products relatively quickly and if I have to re-send a CD or DVD (I do production and duplication for a living) if something is messed up, got scratched or damaged on delivery, or if it just does not seem to work properly in their drives - I send a new copy priority or 2nd day UPS because I want my customers to re-order and be 100% satisfied with my company.

Has anyone else had experiences like this with Vintaudio? Again, a great set of products when they work and they DID get back to me - four days after I asked the question - when it is clearly stated on their website:

"We at Vintaudio strive to be an open and accessible company, that's why we guarantee a response to your query in 24 hours."

I just think their shipping policies either stink or they just don't care - or are unwilling to spend that extra $1 to see it is done right. I'd say it was a customs thing (being Canada to USA) if I had the same problem shipping to Canada just this week.

Mike

Re: Has anyone had good or bad experience with Vintaudio?

I got the same products and had questions/problems. The e-mail replies were long awaited, unhelpful, and laconic to the point of being (by my definition of customer service) insulting. So I stopped trying with them.

But then I am still waiting for weeks for a reply from Sampletekk, so maybe I just expect too much from people...

When I bought the uprights, they came on two cd's. No problems whatsoever--I received the pianos 2-3 days after I ordered them and they installed as they should. Frankie answered my few e-mailed questions within a day. A good product and good service was my experience. (Maybe just overwhelmed right now? My impression is that Vintaudio is just Frankie, so if he now has several sample sets out there, he may just be trying to juggle too many balls.)

Regardless, I hope you get this sorted out. The pianos are great.

I have had nothing but great experience with Vintaudio. First of all in Frankie's defense, any mail crossing the Canadian/US border via post is a crapshoot. I've sent product and had it arrive within three days, and other times it's taken a couple weeks.

Regarding the email issue I have always received quick responses, but I think it is a one man show and he could be somehow indisposed.

On your next email to Frankie I would suggest just having him mail you new discs, as it sounds like your discs were damaged somehow. CRC errors mean bad disc, or a bad burn. I have all his stuff and have had no problems, but with burned discs the odds you will receive a coaster are definitely increased.

Eric Matlock
    ericmatlock.com
    myspace.com/ericmatlock

I did have problems installing the Yamaha C7 DVDs - lots of cyclic redundancy errors and that kind of thing
    Hi there. I've not dealt with any of the products or companies that you mentioned but I thought that I'd chime in with the cyclic redundancy errors problem. This error could be the result of a failing dvd drive. I too have experienced this problem several times when installing large libraries from various companies. I always thought that it was because of defective discs (becuase other libraries would install without a problem). As soon as I replaced my dvd drive, the libraries that gave me trouble would then install without a problem. Of course you may have actually received faulty media, but with CRCs the cd/dvd drive is usually the culprit (even if the drive still appears to function normally).
    P4 3.20 GHz, 2GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2, RME Multiface
    Sonar 4 PE, Ableton Live 5, NI Komplete 2/KC 2005, Sound Forge 8, Keysation Pro 88, Trigger Finger

JimD,

Not a chance of a failing DVD drive. Since (like I mentioned above) I do production and duplication for a living, I have lots and lots of CD burners and DVD burners. I have 40 CD and DVD burners and at least 4 DVD-ROM drives.

I tried them ALL. A chance of a bad DVD burner or ROM at that level is almost nil.

Like I said, the uprights DVD had scratches all over it - nice deep etched ones. It looked like someone dropped it on gravel and then put it back in the sleeve and mailed it anyway.

As far as the C7 DVDs, it's bad burns IMO - probably trying to burn at the highest speed possible and not at what the blank media is rated for - a major no no.

Eric,

I have mailed many things to Canada with little difficulty. Maybe a few days more or less, but not weeks. The only real problem I ever had with customs and shipping was when I sent a bulky box of, well, boxes to Mexico and it never arrived. Ever. So much for shipping to Mexico.

I asked to download the material to save on shipping and just get it taken care of. He told me it was pretty much impossible. So I asked for a replacement and that is where communication ended.

Everyone else,

If Frankie is swamped, I am very happy for him. That means lots of business. Great! However, not my problem. My problem is that I paid money for a product that is not useable entirely. My problem is that he advertises responses within 24 hours and has yet to do so in 3 emails to him. One got a response in 4 days (roughly), the 2nd was never returned and the last one I did today, hours before I wrote any of this, and I am still waiting for the response. We'll see if this time tomorrow he answers? I'd bet money he won't.

If Frankie is a one man operation and is this busy that he cannot ship on time or answer emails in a reasonable time frame, he should hire some people. One person even would be better than nothing.

Funny thing is, if he simply emailed me and said "sorry dude, I am swamped with orders and it may take a few weeks to get to you." I could almost accept that and maybe even offer to pay a bit more for 2nd day shipping.

How about an email saying "your 2nd dvd shipped out yesterday and may take some time to get to you." I'd accept that too - because at least I would know it shipped. I DID receive an email that first time and a 2nd email from him about not being able to download - so shipping was the only option. But I never received any other form of communication.

I am sure we all agree that communication is very important in life and in business. Maybe Frankie should communicate more.

For those of you that have had great success with Vintaudio - I guess I am not one of them yet. Here's hoping I will be eventually.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    Hi there. I've not dealt with any of the products or companies that you mentioned but I thought that I'd chime in with the cyclic redundancy errors problem.
    Curious.... I wonder how often the cyclic redundancy errors come up. I had the same problem with some discs from one of the many reputable sample library creators. I was send a second copy of the discs and the samples loaded quite well.

I get the impression that some DVD readers are more reliable than others (mine was a new one that came with my new Dell, but I am not sure that Dell necessariliy uses the best.) and I get the impression (confirmed with the above) not not every created sample disc is flawless.

There is shareware available online that will check a disc for cyclic redundancy errors. I have one installed called "CD check."

I just wonder how widespread this problem is.

David

David,

If a person burns a DVD at a rate higher than that rated by the DVD manufacturer (which is printed either on the clear acrylic inner hub or on the product packaging - but it's printed somewhere on there) those burns are prone to errors. Look at downloading something from the internet with a 56k modem. If the data being sent is going too fast for the 56k modem to "read" (these being packets), errors result and the download may, and probably will, become corrupted. Likewise, if you have a 16 x (read 16 times) dvd burner, but you buy inexpensive blank DVD stock which are rated for 8 x and you choose to burn at 16 x speed, you are burning at a rate twice as fast as the rate TESTED for that DVD to burn without errors.

Since most people try to get the most bang for their buck OR people don't pay attention to such things (always read the directions people), they are going to try and burn DVDs at the fastest possible setting on their software. The software does not read the DVD blank media burn rate - there is no such data to read. But, the software does read the DVD-Writer specs on the controller card and knows it's possible writing speeds. You will see 1x, 2x, 4x, so on and so forth all the way up to the MARKETED maximum speed of that burner.

So you see the problem. Yes, it is massively widespread because people don't pay attention to such things or simply don't know better.

Now, that's for us small little guys and gals that have burners. This is NOT included for replication companies. They don't burn anything - they PRESS CDs and DVDs into shape with clear plastic materials and aluminum sheets - they literally MANUFACTURE the CD and DVD on the spot from a glass master - so as long as the glass master is good, so is the resulting replicants.

With replication companies, though, you have to order in the thousands to be worth their time and money. Us little guys are known as SHORT RUN because we can do one or one thousand - anything else gets dicey because it takes TIME to burn a DVD - replication takes less than seconds.

That is the difference and one good reason for cyclic redundancy errors.

Mike

Like I said, the uprights DVD had scratches all over it - nice deep etched ones. It looked like someone dropped it on gravel and then put it back in the sleeve and mailed it anyway.
    Yikes...there is no excuse for that. Looks like they need to do a little bit of quality control. I'd be pretty upset if I received a disc in that state.
    P4 3.20 GHz, 2GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2, RME Multiface
    Sonar 4 PE, Ableton Live 5, NI Komplete 2/KC 2005, Sound Forge 8, Keysation Pro 88, Trigger Finger

I bought the Yamaha C7 in a group buy some time ago but never received the correct DVDs. I got 2 copies of the Player Perspective but no Ambient or Close Perspective, and although I emailed several times, and spoke to Frankie on this forum, I never received the missing DVD.

Tim

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast