• Register
  • Help

Topic: A couple of little trifles

Share/Bookmark

A couple of little trifles

Here are a couple of trifles I wrote for another forum several months ago. The idea was to create a piece of music that is whole and meaningful while using 100 notes or less.

The first, Modulations, started as an exercise on chromatic modulation. Through the 23-second piece it goes from Bb to E to F to B to G and returns to Bb – something like a modulation every four seconds, extreme modulations at that. I felt this gave it a sense of momentum – it reminded me of something you might hear in kids show when the main character is moving between scenes on a bicycle. The only response I got was that it made the listener nauseous.

Modulations

I then quickly wrote something else that is a little more stable. I used two slightly contrasting phrases that repeat. That was followed with a short section based on the main theme that goes through a couple of closely related keys before returning to a slight variation of the original theme. As a joke I called it 100 Note Sonata. If you can call a very short phrase a complete theme then the elements are there in a very rudimentary form. Well, sort of. I stated in my description that I knew it was way too simple to be called a sonata. The only response I received was that I shouldn’t misuse technical terms for my own whim.

100 Note Sonata

For the most part I am a very slow writer and so the fact that I whipped these up, from idea to recording, in less than a half hour each should tell me not to take what others say about them too seriously. Anyway, I hid these away for months and only dug the score to Modulations out recently when I didn’t have anything else to show my composition instructor. He really liked it. So, maybe I will see if I can get a second (actually, in the case of Modulations, third) opinion.

I know, my story is longer than both pieces combined! Anyway, don’t take these too serious and have fun.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: A couple of little trifles

Trent...what makes me nauseous is people with no sense of humor. These are both fun pieces!

Sounds to me like you did the modulation exercise quite well...it's nice and smooth all the way thru. If this really made the listener "nauseous" then throw some Coltrane at him and watch his head explode!

As to "the misuse of technical terms on your own whim", it's obvious he's never heard of Satie's "Three Flaccid Pieces (for a Dog)", "Bureaucratic Sonata", or "Three Pieces in the Form of a Pear"!!! Take a look at these other titles from Satie (English titles are at bottom of page)=>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Some people take themselves way too seriously...this stuff is supposed to be fun!

"100 Note Sonata" sounds like a good idea for a competition contest around here! Would one of the requirements be EXACTLY 100 notes?

...keep the faith, man!

;-)
    jim

EDIT: "what makes me nauseous is people with no sense of humor" OR "what makes me nauseous are people with no sense of humor"? Jeezzz - I don't know anymore! I've been on the Redneck Riviera too long!!!!
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Hi Jim. Thanks for listening to these little ditties. For this type of thing I like to try to have fun - life's too short to be serious all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    "100 Note Sonata" sounds like a good idea for a competition contest around here! Would one of the requirements be EXACTLY 100 notes?
    I think if we did a contest we should add the challenge to make it exactly 100 sounding notes. I say "sounding" because it lets you tie things over bar lines and allows as many rests as you want.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

I've recovered from the vertigo, thank you for asking... lol!

But! I think there might be one extra note in the 100-Note Sonata, Jim. I demand a recount!

Seriously, good exercises. Short pieces with strict terms are great for sharpening your skills.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

But! I think there might be one extra note in the 100-Note Sonata, Jim. I demand a recount!

COLOR]
    So that's it.... all along I thought he was refering to the term "sonata" and you point out that the technical term was "100". "100" has an exact meaning and ...

Oh well, I sent to Florida for a recount. Maybe Jim has time...

Thanks for listening and commenting.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    So that's it.... "100" has an exact meaning and ...

Oh well, I sent to Florida for a recount. Maybe Jim has time...

Thanks for listening and commenting.
    ROFLOL!

We don't normally count that high down here without some help...this could take some time (gotta find four other people with all their fingers and toes first).

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    ROFLOL!

We don't normally count that high down here without some help...this could take some time (gotta find four other people with all their fingers and toes first).

;-)
    This is clearly a case of either hanging or dimpled quarter notes.

I'm sure the Florida courts can handle this -- they've got experience.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum