• Register
  • Help

Topic: DP Version Five

Share/Bookmark

DP Version Five

Hey DP Dan... Karl...

Anybody get this yet? Anything to report? Looks fairly awesome.

Thumbs up Re: DP Version Five

I think DPDAN has upgraded and rightly so. Who better to Master DP V5! I will say a buddy of mine is a DP die hard and I have experienced DP4 under his expertise. It is too bad it is for mac only. Would be nice if they could make a PC version. I would get rid of everything else.
    What say you NADPD?
    Styxx

Re: DP Version Five

I'm looking through all the new features on the MOTU site right now. If I weren't on wifi in a public place I'd be dancing and shouting like a fool... Some stunning enhancements. DP Dan may very well take over the universe if this gets in his hands...

Hi Guys!

I am installing DP5 on Monday hopefully. Although I am thrilled with most of the new features, it is so sad that some of the wonderful features that DP has had for a long time are not improved.
    I spoke with Dave Roberts at the MOTU booth in New York at the AES show last october about a rolling midi edit. This would give us the ability to lasso (highlight) the transition of two notes, and move the transition earlier or later, of course preserving our pitch data as well as other data. In other words, you have two midi notes that are slightly overlapping each other for a legato sound, and you have drawn in this beautiful sounding pitch bend data, except the transition of these two notes is too early. What we have to do now is highlight all the data, including both notes, nudge them later, listen, nudge, listen, nudge, listen, nudge, you get the idea. Once the transition is correct, now we have to go to the front of the first note and lengthen it, listen, then we have to go to the end of the second note and shorten it, what a major hassel. Wouldn't it be nice to highlight the transition, and nudge it one way or the other, and never mess with where the first note started and where the second note ends? I mentioned this in the DP5 wishlist topic on www.unicornation.com and others said... "yeah, that would be awesome." This is clearly a midi editing feature idea that I have wanted for ages, so I guess maybe someday it will be incorporated into a new version of DP instead of another new analog synth for "Lost In Space" sound effects. Maybe someone at Protools is reading this, and thinks it's a great idea. Then after Protools has had it for a few years, DP7 can incorporate it.

DP was originally only a midi creating and editing program. It seems that MOTU is more interested in marketing Digital Performer towards consumer oriented hip hop, loop freak artists (God bless them ) This is evident in the inclusion of a bunch of synth modules that are now part of DP, and us users who want to upgrade are forced to pay more because of them. OK, maybe the upgrade price was due for an increase anyway, since DP's pitch correction feature is well worth the new upgrade price. Many power users could care less about these built-in synths, which is evidenced by so many comments regarding these synths. Most DP users would much rather have MOTU spend their creative juices on enhancing the speed at which the software can run.

I always speak highly of MOTU products, and this post may seem to indicate that I have drifted into using some other sequencing software, but I haven't. It's really funny how some people probably think of a Mac computer when they see my avatar, and that I am a MAC geek. NO. I have only used a MAC in the last two years because I was so impressed with the possibilities of DP. It is still an awesome piece of software, and it is totally common to work on a project for over a week and never have DP or the MAC fail in any way. This is perhaps the best thing about the platform. Funny how I have become pretty comfortable using DP, but I am still not totally comfortable on the MAC, since I have used a PC for email and word processing. I'm getting there though, learnig the MAC part is easy though.

I am so bummed out when I read about a new feature in DP, and then discover that other DAW software products have done that for quite some time.

Keeping up with the Jones' and offering all these features that other manufacturers offer in theirs,.. is all part of the big picture. It is evident to me that MOTU is still striving to be at the front of DAW technology.

So guess what,,,,, DP5 has a new rolling audio edit feature, but you guessed it, no rolling midi edit.
    Sorry for venting.
    deepeeDan

Yeah, saw that rolling audio feature and wasn't even thinking about MIDI! That would be sooo cool. Oh well, all these other new features seem to be fairly incredible.

I'm a big synth lover and its funny. Just a couple of days ago, here at the ASCAP convention, I asked a ROLAND rep when they would be doing virtual instruments. The rep said it was in their future plans.

This morning I found out about DP5 and they now have a JUNO 106 emulation!

YES!!! Poor ROLAND, asleep at the wheel...

Ordered DP5 today. Can't wait.

Dan, you are so the master, especially with orchestra music at changing tempos and time signatures. If you released a DVD tutorial explaining how you get it all to work, I'd buy one! That aspect of rendering my compositions has always alluded me.

E

I have DP5 and have been using it for a week. It is a GREAT upgrade. I went from 4.6.1 to 5.0 and have had no problems. I don't usually upgrade in the middle of projects, but took a chance with this one. I still have my Logic 7.2 upgade on my desk wondering when I can get up the nerve to take the plunge. DP5 has been solid for me so far

Peace

rikp

Hi Dan,

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    DP was originally only a midi creating and editing program. It seems that MOTU is more interested in marketing Digital Performer towards consumer oriented hip hop, loop freak artists (God bless them )
    Sadly DP is not the only platform that has to deal with this, they have all pretty much adopted that crowd. I don't mind so much, as long as I get the features I need, and all the stuff I don't need doesn't either cost me more or slow me down.

I always speak highly of MOTU products, and this post may seem to indicate that I have drifted into using some other sequencing software, but I haven't. It's really funny how some people probably think of a Mac computer when they see my avatar, and that I am a MAC geek. NO. I have only used a MAC in the last two years because I was so impressed with the possibilities of DP.
    I've almost bought a Mac for the studio more than once! I like DP a lot, and I absolutely love "M" and I am fascinated with Max.

Max is now available for Windows, but M and DP aren't, so I might end up getting a Mac if I can get enough work to justify it.

The odd thing is that I would not get rid of the windows boxes and Sonar, I would simply add the capabilities of DP to the tool chest.

It was only a couple of years ago that I stopped using Bars &Pipes on the Amiga for a lot of my MIDI stuff.

So many tools...

So little time<G>!

Go Back to forum