• Register
  • Help

Topic: scores

Share/Bookmark

scores

anyone know where to get a john williams score?

Re: scores

Hal Leonard publishes John Williams (assuming you're talking about the famous film composer, and not the guitarist). If you do a Google search for "John Williams Signature Edition" you should find a bunch of online stores that sell them. Unfortunately they're a bit expensive, which is why I don't have one myself yet...

Here's one online store: http://www.music44.com/X/category/H04JWMSIG (ignore the 'Score and Parts' editions, unless you have a real personal orchestra in the backyard )

Hope this helps!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

thank you sean,
    i searched but didn't come up with much. i'll try again

Hey Greg,

I've never ordered from these guys before, but I've seen them advertised on this forum.

http://www.alexuniv.com/music/orches...es/default.asp

I think some are original scores, some are transcriptions and arrangements, and some are "orchestral suites." Either way, I imagine they'd get close enough to get the gist of his music.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Unfortunately they're a bit expensive, which is why I don't have one myself yet...
    Yeah, it's not a pocket money.

thanks a lot, wow, they are pricey

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I think some are original scores, some are transcriptions and arrangements, and some are "orchestral suites." Either way, I imagine they'd get close enough to get the gist of his music.

chris.
    I think orchestral suites is a good definition for them. I worked for Hal Leonard a while back and did a little work on a few of these titles. These are the orchestrations used in these films, the only difference being is that these are "arranged" for live concert performances. Meaning that the actual cues used in the film didn't always have "endings" and weren't necessarily continous bodies of music. Those types of elements were brought into these scores to create a complete piece of music.

So if you have one of these scores and are listening to a soundtrack recording, the structure might not be identical. But if you're instrested in studying these scores to anaylze his orchestration techniques, then you're looking at exactly what was used in the film.

Jeff

You might also want to pay attention to the prices: The scores that cost 400ish to 600ish bucks include individual parts for all the orchestra players. The cheaper ones (50-80 USD) are the ones you want.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

I know there's a number of places out there that sell legitimate (i.e. royalties paid to the appropriate parties) MIDI files of various songs and compositions. I wonder if there are any out there of his work? If so, they would probably be much less expensive to buy. Admittedly, using your favorite sequencer to print out scores from MIDI will not give you the full features of of the score itself, but it might be an inexpensive way of at least getting familiar with the basics.

Anyone have any recommendations along these lines?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum