• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help in deciding - semi-weighted or fully w/ hammers for GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Help in deciding - semi-weighted or fully w/ hammers for GPO?

Hi guys,

im deciding between CME UF7 and UF8. 76key semi weighted and 88key fully weighted respectively.

I've heard all this talk about fully weighted keyboards not being so comfortable with sequencing orchestra or drums... Do you think it would be actually noticeable for someone who never used a keyboard before? (neither electric nor piano)

I'd like the 88key one so i can use all the keyswitches and have full range while playing piano but i dont wanna regret it if it will not be usable for orchestral sequencing or drum programming...
    ??
    I dunno, i figured it wouldnt be so hard to program drums with some soft velocity settings right or be expressive with orchestra with highly dynamic velocity curve and an expression pedal?

Re: Help in deciding - semi-weighted or fully w/ hammers for GPO?

I only have a weighted keyboard (Kurzweil PC-88), and I wish I had a lighter keyboard for orchestral work. 88 keys are nice to have, and most things work fine with a weighted keyboard. I think my timing is more accurate with the weights. The place where I find problems are for fast runs and quick drum work.

If you play slower music, or want to learn to play piano, definitely get weights. If you mainly focus on drums and fast runs, go for a lighter touch. If you do a bit of both, then maybe a weighted keyboard is best, as I think it teaches better technique. You can always slow down the tempo of the sequencer when you record the fast parts.

-JF

Thanks for the advice. Sounds good.

Though i was always wondering why is it hard to play fast runs or repetitions when some classical piano works have also very short, fast notes?
    Is it that the weighted keyboard just isnt as fast as a real piano?

It's just that short-throw, low weight, fast-return keys move faster. Sure, a world-class player can play fast runs on a piano. But they can likely play even faster on a non-weighted keyboard. That's especially true of trills, where you need the key to return, before you can play it again.

One thing about weighted keyboards: their keys are generally lighter than those of a real piano. I took piano lessons for a while a couple of years ago, and I found it difficult to acclimate to the heavier keys at each weekly lesson. (It didn't help that I wen't there straight from work, so I didn't get any prep time to loosen up before the lessons.)

-JF

Go Back to forum