• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Borsendofer Arrangement - Older Tune

Share/Bookmark

Borsendofer Arrangement - Older Tune

Hi all,

Here's an arrangement I just completed called "When I Fall In Love"

It features the Bardstown Borsendorfer Imperial Grand Piano at dead center with other great sampled instruments supporting the score.

The entire arrangement was performed in real time - using my Classic Motif 8

Comments are always appreciated.

http://alanrussell-music.com/When%20...0In%20Love.MP3

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: Borsendofer Arrangement - Older Tune

Hi,

was there any issue with the link provided? I was expecting a comment either way.

Alan Russell

Hi Alan, that's a nice club date arrangement of the tune and nice playing... I think that the problem most folks would have with the recording is the quality of the synths depicting the arrangement... It sounds like it's coming out of a keyboard, and it sounds like it's being played on a keyboard...

My advice is try getting something like Kirk Hunter Emerald, and redo this and you'll see how much more realistic it will sound... Cause you'll have control over things like the initial attack of the sounds and you can use articulations and edit the performances so that it sounds realistic... I"m sure you have a good keyboard, but no matter how good, the realistic sounds are (strings, brass, woodwinds) just can't compete with all these new libraries that are coming out... And by now people's ears are atuned to that, and anything that sounds like it's being played on a keyboard is going to turn people away... anyway, that's my two cents...

Tradivoro,

which instruments were synthy to your ears?..be specific..

Thanks for your feedback

Alan Russell

Well, primarily the strings... The piano sounded decent, the drums could have been higher in the mix... I forget if there were horn parts, I can't listen right now, but just about anything that wasn't in the rhythm section... It's really the Motif, you just can't use the orchestral sound in a any kind of serious arrangement... I have the EX5, which is very similar, and the electric pianos are very nice, some bass sounds are nice, the synth sounds are nice, but the orchestral instruments just don't cut it when it comes to these types of arrangements... However, for synth pop tunes they work very well... And that's what the motif is geared for, as was a ex5...

Tradivoro,

thanks for your ongoing feedback.

The Bardstown Piano in my view is superb for pop and Jazz. The Motif
    8 Dr. Jazz Kit for the drums is very nice to work with and a bit of EQ dresses it up in a final mix. The Garritan Lite First Violins and Violas are quite easy the work with in any pop music genre. (I never use the strings in the Motif - too synthy for me) All that the Lites are doing are playing sustained notes and small counter melodies. I don't feel that they need a variety of articulations since they are quite easy to play in real time with the Motif Classic 8. The only brass was the JABB 1st trumpet. The guitar was out of Real Guitar 2 and the Bass was out of Trilogy. Currently this is my Core group I work with. As other samples become available , they will be switched out.

Thanks again for your response.

Alan Russell

The trumpet sounds like Al Vera who used to do tons of club dates in NY in the 60's and early 70's What is unrealistic about it is that horn players, unless they have learned the art of circular breathing, must take breaths every once in a while. Many keyboard players forget that fact and play the horn parts as if they were keyboard lines, with no attention to the physical limitations of the human body.
    Rich

Rich,

Are you implying that the trumpet track that is played in real time does not imply any breathing space in the phrasing or are you making a general comment about sampled trumpets played by the keyboard being too legato for an extended amount of time?

Thanks for your feedback..I do value your opinion.

Alan Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barr
    The trumpet sounds like Al Vera who used to do tons of club dates in NY in the 60's and early 70's What is unrealistic about it is that horn players, unless they have learned the art of circular breathing, must take breaths every once in a while. Many keyboard players forget that fact and play the horn parts as if they were keyboard lines, with no attention to the physical limitations of the human body.

Alan,

I'm saying that this performance of the trumpet has no space between phrases, space that is present when a real player plays in real time. You gotta breath.
    Rich

I liked this!

...Didn't see your post until now.

I think the melody is terrific! Great use of voice layering, and the pacing is on the mark!

Nice work Allen!

Go Back to forum