• Register
  • Help

Topic: First GPO-Sibelius encounter

Share/Bookmark

First GPO-Sibelius encounter

My viola part contains arco and pizz. sections: must I write these on separate staves feeding the corresponding "solo" and "pizz." violas which I can load into GPO Kontact Player?
    Or can I simply load the pizz. Viola into the player, assigning the same midi channel as the arco, and write it all on one staff?
    Sibelius says that it can read pizz markings, but I don't hear it...that may work for the Sibelius Kontact Player or General Midi naturally.

This is exciting new territory for me, I must say. I just dug out some old college-era pieces...and wonder...what was I thinking! Time for the 2006 revisions! Thanks, Din

Re: First GPO-Sibelius encounter

Do you have the GPO Sibelius Edition? Or Sibelius and GPO as seperate entities? the answer(s) will vary depending on which setup you have. Also, Sib 3 or 4?

R. Pearl

Hi,

Sibelius 3

GPO...separate.

does Sibelius 4 really enhance the experience?

Thanks, Din

In a word, yes. For instance, you simply load the Violin KS, then write in pizz., arco, etc. whenever you need them; additionally, all your dynamics and hairpins playback. It has saved me a lot of time, and well worth the investment if you use Sibelius a lot. Also, the dynamic parts are great!

R. Pearl

Sorry, didn't answer your first question. Load a KS (keyswitch) instrument; then, when you want the effect that you want, you put a pitch in the score that will trigger it - it is always a note out of the instruments range, so it doesn't sound. You can read what these pitches are in the GPO documentation. No need for a seperate staff, unless it is an effect that the KS doesn't have. You do need to start thinking in terms of having some extra staves occasionally - but you'll get the hang of that as you continue to work.

R. Pearl

a bit OT, but is there any reference material that anyone knows about which has a complete list of all the technique words that GPO understands in Sibelius?

Paul

Paul,

I would suggest that you post your question on the Sibelius site. There is a document that details how Sib 4/GPO edition work, and what text is recognized.
    But as you know, Sibelius has a Dictionary that can be "programmed" to send MIDI messages, so in a way there is no definitive, or definite number of things that GPO will recognize. So post on the Sib site - you'll problably get an answer within an hour!

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum