• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yes, it's been a long time

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Yes, it's been a long time

Playing my first gig in a long time. Blues / Jazz.
    Styxx

Re: Yes, it's been a long time

Well congrats buddy. I think it does us all good to get out of the big comfy chair and reaquaint ourselves with what probably drew most of us into musicianship in the first place.......live performance. I didnt gig for a couple of years there for a while. Now I realize how much I missed having drinks spilled on my gear, waking up with clothes that smell like a beer drenched ashtray, and waking between 8 and 9 o'clock regardless of the fact that I went to bed at 4 AM because age doesnt allow sleep-in-adness. Seriously though, have a great time while you're doing it and "break a leg".

(Eric Watkins and Watkins Sound INC claim no responsibility for any broken limbs actually incurred during said "gig" or before and after at other successive gigs by Styxx or any others gigging in the beefalo area)

You go, girl!

As a rock & roll guy, live performance was what it was all about for me. I haven't gigged in a number of years myself, so I know how much fun you're going to have.

Just remember, speaking for guitarists everywhere, we'd all be quite grateful if you'd dry your hands before swinging those sticks...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Smile Re: Yes, it's been a long time

Have fun, Styxx!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thumbs up Re: Yes, it's been a long time

Thanks everyone! I had an awesome time! The flexatone sounded fantastic as well as the taxi horn. I had forgotten how loud guitarist have to play their instruments even at a small venue. Thank God for ear protection! At least I was above them some what on the riser. Bassist was unbelievable and man did we groove! End of the night they all cornered me and voiced how they would like me permanently in the band complaining their drummer just doesn't cut it. Eh, tempting but I had received another offer which may involve a little travel to Nashville and some recording. We shall see. Those things have a tendency of falling apart sometimes but hey, ya never know!
    Hemingway, the bottom line was having a blast! I can say this much, I had no idea how much of a following they have. It was a small place but man was it rockin'! Best part ... NO CIGARRETTE SMOKE!
    Styxx

Hi Styxx,

Congrats!! But didn't you find the lack of a smokey haze somewhat disorienting???

I just ventured out myself for the first time in a very long time a couple of weekends ago... and I too had a blast. It was a relatively informal gig, and I took one guitar, one amplifer, and one cable to connect the two.

If I were really playing out I'd have to assemble the whole rig again... but you know, it was so much fun I am thinking about it!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    Hi Styxx,

Congrats!! But didn't you find the lack of a smokey haze somewhat disorienting???

I just ventured out myself for the first time in a very long time a couple of weekends ago... and I too had a blast. It was a relatively informal gig, and I took one guitar, one amplifer, and one cable to connect the two.

If I were really playing out I'd have to assemble the whole rig again... but you know, it was so much fun I am thinking about it!

Bill
    You sound like a guitarist whom I would love to gig with! Heads up kind of player. Having a good time was what counted. You know, "priceless!"
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    What! You drove to California from Beefalo for a one-nighter!?

Congrats on a good gig, Styxx!

Ern
    Thanks Ern! California? Well, going that far I would never come back.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I had forgotten how loud guitarist have to play their instruments even at a small venue.
    Have to play? Have to play? No way, dude. They just LIKE to play that loud, and have many, many excuses why it is not possible to turn down to a mere ear-bleeding roar - e.g.; "Me amp sounds like crap when I play soft" - "It's not the amp, it's YOU!" or "The notes don't sustain unless I'm turned up to 11!" - "OK, but turn the amp power OFF!"

Bottom line - put some sheet music in front of him. he'll automatically turn down, and never notice it was the chart for Louie Louie (or perhaps As Time Goes By...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Now, an extremely hard-hitting drummer is another story
    Won't find that with me!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum