• Register
  • Help

Topic: More samples, or better engine?!

Share/Bookmark

More samples, or better engine?!

That is the question I was asking myself a month ago or so regarding purchasing more piano libraries, or switching from HALion to Kontakt to enhance the ones I already have (Emperor, Old Lady, TBO, etc...).

Well, I made the switch to Kontakt, and I just gotta tell those who haven't made the switch, if you are eligible to take advantage of the crossgrade opportunity...you will not be sorry! I can't believe the difference these scripts have made on these pianos. They're like completely new pianos. I'm blown away! Not to mention, I am now able to buy into and enjoy other libraries such as Prominy's LPC, Garritan's Stradivarius, etc... I'm on a Mac by the way.

If okay to mention, I usually use the usual great guys over at audiomidi, zzounds, and a few other places. Well, Florida Music Co. had it the cheapest for $229. I wasn't familiar with them, but I took the chance and got very fast and professional transaction. Highly recommended!

Lastly, I didn't even mention the fact that you get some pretty killer stock sounds along with Kontakt. An impressive package altogether. So, did this end up being the right choice?! You betcha!! Did I end up not having to buy more pianos?! Are you kidding...I wouldn't be the piano slut that I am if I did something crazy like that! Anyways, I just added LPC, the White Grand, Black Grand to my collection and am one satisfied guy.

Cheers to all, Scott

Re: More samples, or better engine?!

LPC is pretty sweet. The scripts in K2 allow for some very convincing performances. It is definitely one of the most fun and detailed libraries that I've ever played. Glad you enjoy K2
    P4 3.20 GHz, 2GB RAM WinXP Pro SP2, RME Multiface
    Sonar 4 PE, Ableton Live 5, NI Komplete 2/KC 2005, Sound Forge 8, Keysation Pro 88, Trigger Finger

I hope that they will eventually write comparable iMIDI rules (or whatever is necessary to replicate those K2 scripts) for Giga... and that this happens at the same time as the beginning of my next gear-buying cycle. I'm still awed by that demonstration video, and I forward the link to every gearhead that I know...

I've really been considering this too.

I'm also on a Mac and currently own Halion 2/Cubase SX 2, and am keen to switch to Kontakt 2 to take advantage of the extra scripting features. I have tried the Kontakt 2 Demo, which is great in every respect - except that it doesn't seem as efficient as the Halion engine, especially when running scripts as well (True resonance script for example).

I currently own TBO, The White Grand, Steiny D Close & Vintaudio's C7.

What spec is your Mac? - I'm interested to know how well these libraries perform on your Mac running Kontakt, and what scripts are you running?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan
    I've really been considering this too.

I'm also on a Mac and currently own Halion 2/Cubase SX 2, and am keen to switch to Kontakt 2 to take advantage of the extra scripting features. I have tried the Kontakt 2 Demo, which is great in every respect - except that it doesn't seem as efficient as the Halion engine, especially when running scripts as well (True resonance script for example).

I currently own TBO, The White Grand, Steiny D Close & Vintaudio's C7.

What spec is your Mac? - I'm interested to know how well these libraries perform on your Mac running Kontakt, and what scripts are you running?

Thanks.
    Hey there...thanks for the write!

My Mac is a G5 dual 2.5, 2.5 gb RAM, 7200 internal SATA 300GB

I was running the same config as you (SX2 & HAL 2). On a direct performance camparison (no scripts, just the barebones), I found Kontakt to be quite a bit more efficient. I believe it is when scripts come into play that you are asking more from the software...could very well be the reason Kontakt seemed more suggish. This is all very new to me (using scripts, so I don't claim to be *any* kind of expert). I will say that the scripts are making a significant difference.

I have downloaded the Kornel and Olivier script and was just amazed at how much more the piano breathed. I have only tested it out on PMI's emporer so far...can't wait to dig in more. Like you, I am really into the pianos, so I would think this a very worthwhile for the enhancement to them alone. Best of luck on your decision!

-Best, Tweed

Go Back to forum