• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Golden Sky

Share/Bookmark

Golden Sky

Here's some new GPO pieces I've been working on. They're from my score for "Golden Sky", a (yet to be produced) short film.

Together in the rain (new)

The Balloon Ride

End Title

Testing the Wings

Hope you enjoy,

Ryan

Re: Golden Sky

Ryan, this is simply beautiful. Simple and beautiful. And you lucky dog! I hope for a film where I get the opportunity to do this kind of score.

I'm not suggesting you take any of my advice*, or that I feel that this project needs anything more than what you've provided. Personally I think it sounds wonderful. But if my wacked out line of thinking will help you with your approach, I'm happy to share. I'm always interested in how other people write. When you come to a conclusion to getting a lot of expressivity in the strings to your satisfaction, please let me know.

As for the strings, I can tell that you are trying to get the most out of the modwheel, which is good... But all things in moderation including moderation. Sometimes you just have to let the samples play themselves a bit. Overall, you've done an amazing job. But sometimes those in-between notes that don't get that full draw like the beginnings of notes, that good cresc or < >, or NOTE<>< NEXT NOTE> (for lack of illustration). Sometimes--although rarely--the modwheel doesn't need to do anything there. Particularly in inside voices. Other times, the inside voices need more dramatic mod wheel movement to draw more attention to their movement. Sometimes the melody needs a push from the inside to ramp up the excitement.

Another line of thinking is considering dynamics in a range...let's say 30, rather than an absolute value, say for example:
    pp from 0 - 25
    p from 20 - 50
    mp from 35 - 65
    mf from 50 - 80
    f from 75 - 105
    ff from 100 - 127
    ...ish

I've been loosely operating with the above list, although I've never actually written it down before. And it tends to change with each situation. But I've found that gives each dynamic level more of a bubble to operate in (and helps my brain reconcile the OCD that needs structured dynamics).

Please let us know when the film is complete!

-Joe

*Void where prohibited.

Positively lovely writing, Ryan! Excellent use of the orchestra. You've done a great job on these... a true pleasure to listen to them.

On the mix, given the venue, I might perhaps consider slightly more reverb. You've wisely chosen to use a light hand with it, and I enjoy the pristine clarity that results; but just a little bit more (not much!) added...

I look forward to hearing more from this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Now THIS was fun listening to!

Joe, thank you for your extremely kind words and advice. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I was fighting that modwheel pretty hard on these When something doesn't sound right my usual instinctive response is to draw more and more controller data, often making things worse in the process. I just can't leave well enough alone

Also, being a keyboardist, I'm rather clumsy when programming a string passage. This could be why the "inside voices" as you mentioned aren't getting their deserved attention.

Thanks for listening,

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Positively lovely writing, Ryan! Excellent use of the orchestra. You've done a great job on these... a true pleasure to listen to them.

On the mix, given the venue, I might perhaps consider slightly more reverb. You've wisely chosen to use a light hand with it, and I enjoy the pristine clarity that results; but just a little bit more (not much!) added...

I look forward to hearing more from this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David! I'm very pleased you enjoyed it.

Wait a second... did you say more reverb? And here I am thinking I had used too much I guess it comes down to personal taste, I tend to prefer a very close, "dry" sound. But I'm weird that way. This is an orchestra after all, and could do with some more hall verb. Thanks...

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Now THIS was fun listening to!
    Thanks for listening!

It was fun to write too!

Ryan

Delightful! Very light and joyful. GREAT orchestration. I have a soft spot for the woodwinds (too much brassy these days usually) - so I was especially delighted.

I also vote for more reverb (and I'm usually chiming in for less too).

Yes, the string performances are a little choppy - if you have the time, try putting little hills on the notes (about +13 to +16 CC1 units high), with a slight peak shift to the left if the next note goes down in pitch and a slight peak shift to the right if the next pitch goes up.

YBaCuO

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Delightful! Very light and joyful. GREAT orchestration. I have a soft spot for the woodwinds (too much brassy these days usually) - so I was especially delighted.

I also vote for more reverb (and I'm usually chiming in for less too).

Yes, the string performances are a little choppy - if you have the time, try putting little hills on the notes (about +13 to +16 CC1 units high), with a slight peak shift to the left if the next note goes down in pitch and a slight peak shift to the right if the next pitch goes up.

YBaCuO
    Hi YBaCuO, thank you.

Yes, I'm going to add a touch more verb (against my will ) Hopefully that will help smooth out the strings.

Strings frustrate me to no end. I've already got so much controller data in there but it may be (as jmc mentioned), too much. I really don't know , but I'll play with it some more and post the new versions tomorrow.

Ryan

Hey Ryan
    Lovely writing and orchestrating. You have done a beautiful job of rendering in GPO. Very much enjoyed listening.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast