I have again reviewed a post by \"Marc\" from June 27 at the old forum regarding optimizing the system settings in Win 95/98 for GS.
He suggested eigth areas for optimizing, and I have questions about some of them.
1. Virtual Memory Size - Double RAM-size, both min. and max. [This one seems to be recommended by everyone]
2. Disk Write Caching - Disable write behind caching for all drives. [Recommended also by Aardvark for Aark20/20+]
3. Disk Read Caching - On this one he asks for best value, but suggests: Min File Cache=2048, Max File Cache=2048 [Any suggestions on this one? Also - Where do you perform these changes]
4. Turning off double buffering in MSDOS.SYS - Doublebuffer=1 changed to Doublebuffer=0 [Any suggestions about this? Where do you access these parameters?]
5. Read Ahead Optimization - Move the Read Ahead Opt. slider to the left(OFF), select \"Network Server\" as \"Typical role of this machine\". [On the first point Marc\'s suggestion is the opposite of what Aardvark recommends: Full Read-ahead optimization! Can anyone help out here?]
6. Reduce Graphics Hardware Acceleration - Move Hardware Acceleration slider leftwards (Also for AGP-cards?) [I would like a suggestion for AGP-cards such as ATI XPERT 128 AGP (Rage)]
7. Disabling the Wave Audio Device - Control panel/Multimedia/Advanced?/Media Control - Select the Wave Audio Device (Media Control) and click properties. Select the \"do not use this media control device\" option. [Couldn\'t find these settings in WIN98.]
8. Remove running programs, that are not necessary.[Recommended by most.]
If there are other areas of optimization any new suggestions would be appreciated.