• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Building a new DAW : What do you think about this one (advice welcomed !)

Share/Bookmark

Building a new DAW : What do you think about this one (advice welcomed !)

Hi there,
    I'm planning on building a new DAW :after a whole month of research and bragging and information collection, here's what I've decided to buy :

Processor
    AMD Opteron 175
    Socket 939 2,2Ghz Dual Core
    Cache L2 2x1024Ko

Motherboard
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
    Chipset ATI Crossfire Xpress 3200
    Specs Link

PS : a guy from the gearslut forum told me that this motherboard is not compatible with GS3 (can be read here)... Can you confirm this ? If yes, who is the culprit, the ATI Crossfire Xpress Chipset ? The ULi M1575 South Bridge ? If so, what motherboard do you recommend ?

PowerSupply
    Seasonic S12 500HT ATX 500 Watts
    Specs Link

Processor Fan/Heatsink Combo
    Zalman CNPS9500 LED
    Specs Link
    OR
    Thermalright SI-120 + Nexus Silent Case Fan 120mm
    Specs Link + Specs Link

ATX Case
    Antec Performance One P180 Black
    Specs Link

LCD Screen
    2 x Samsung Syncmaster 930BF (4ms)
    Specs Link

DVD Writer
    Plextor PX-716AL (Slot-in)
    Specs Link

S-ATA II Hard Drive Disk
    Seagate ST3400633AS
    400Go 7200RPM
    Cache 16Mo – 12ms

Note that I already have a PCI-e Graphic Card, and 2Go of Samsung PC3200 DDRAM, and 2 Seagate 160Go S-ATA Hard Drive.
    I'll probably be plugging in an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O (FireWire 400).
    Also, I'll be mainly using Sony Acid Pro 6.0, along with Tascam GigaStudio Orchestra 3 and many high-end plugins (URS, Sonalksis, Waves, Convultion Reverbs).

So I'm aiming at a multitask DAW (if it wasn't obvious ^^). The question is :

Am I aiming right with this setup ? Will I go throught compatibility issues ? Or do you have any better recomendation about the componements I chose ?

Thanx in advance for your feedback ! I'm really looking forward to it, as this is a high-end user forum that I always took seriously.

Re: Building a new DAW : What do you think about this one (advice welcomed !)

I would consider a WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150 GB dedicated to samples, especially if you play them DirectFromDisk. It outperforms all 7200 drives with its low search times due to the 10000 RPM spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I would consider a WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150 GB dedicated to samples, especially if you play them DirectFromDisk. It outperforms all 7200 drives with its low search times due to the 10000 RPM spin.
    What's about the noice of this drive?
    I use Lacie Bigger Disk Extreme (500 Gbyte, 2*250 Gbyte, RAID 0, internal) external disk with an Firewire 800 interface.
    Works great with my PC & Laptop.

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

AFAIK, Nexus Fan needs to be cut a little bit to be fit on Thermalright 120. Zalman 9500 might be noisier than Zalman 7000. I think Plextor drives are overpriced, and I heard current Seagate drives runs a little bit noisy, RAID 0 can be a good idea. Check silentpcreview.com

I would consider a WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150 GB dedicated to samples, especially if you play them DirectFromDisk.
    You're right. I've read in a review that it's smoking fast compared to all the other 7200 RPM HDDs. A bit noisy, but it might not be a problem since I'm used to Seagate's hard drive noise (whichi is by the way, not that unbearable), and that all the hard drive will be at the bottom of the case (see Antec P180 case specs). Thanx for the tip sir !

Quote Originally Posted by sangmoklee
    AFAIK, Nexus Fan needs to be cut a little bit to be fit on Thermalright 120. I think Plextor drives are overpriced, and I heard current Seagate drives runs a little bit noisy, RAID 0 can be a good idea. Check silentpcreview.com
    That's a great user experience input we've got here. Now I've been warned. You can never prevent these kind of little incompatibilites...

Zalman 9500 might be noisier than Zalman 7000
    I assume you're talking about the Zalman CNPS7700Cu right ? Does it cool down the CPU as well as the 9500 one, or as well as the Thermalright with the Nexus 120mm fan ? Maybe you have something else to suggest, I'm opened for all discussion on this one.

I think Plextor drives are overpriced
    Well maybe, but their tech support rocks. I had a great experience with my PX-708a DVD Writer... Once I killed the CD Tray, I got my whole unit replaced within a week, which is quite wonderful for a manufacturer nowdays ^^.

What's your favorite DVD Writer (black color if possible) out there ?

Thanx for all your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchino
    Thanx for the tip sir !
    I must have changed , without noticing.
    I assume you're talking about the Zalman CNPS7700Cu right ?
    This is one heck of a CPU cooler. Mine sits on top of a P4 3.2 GHz Prescott (nicknamed "the Frying Pan"). The Zalman always runs at appr. 948 RPM (completely noiseless), and the CPU temperature never, ever exeeded 49°C, no matter what I asked it to do.

I must have changed , without noticing
    Excuse me miss, I'm just not used to see women in these kind of forums, plus, giving concrete advices... You must be a great wife btw (if you know how to cook of course... Macho ? Who ? Me ? ^^).
    The Zalman always runs at appr. 948 RPM (completely noiseless), and the CPU temperature never, ever exeeded 49°C
    Well then I'll give it another chance and will google for some review about this one... I home it'll be cool and quite enough for either a Intel Pentium D 950 / 960 or an AMD Opteron 175 /180...

Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com for the details about these heatsinks. They're all excellent, and some are more excellent than others!

Take a look at the Scythe Ninja. I run an XP-120 with a Seasonic PS and no case fan. The Seasonic moves so little air that I keep my case cracked open to let it vent. Using one 120mm fan for heatsink cooling and case heat extraction looks very promising.

-JF

I was talking about 7000, not 7700. I believe 7000 is slightly quieter while 7700, 9500 cools slightly better. Actually, I think Nexus Fan + XP120 is possible without modding but it won't be really secure, and it is very minor modding.

Since you are going to put several hard drives in your case, the choice of cpu cooler (among Ninja, Zalman, Nexus+Thermalright) won't make much of difference. I would go for a Zalman because of the ease of installation.

If you are going to buy a Zalman, I recommend AlCu over Cu, because Cu is much heavier(not good for CPU when you move your computer), more expensive and make almost no difference in temparature.

PS : a guy from the gearslut forum told me that this motherboard is not compatible with GS3 (can be read here)... Can you confirm this ? If yes, who is the culprit, the ATI Crossfire Xpress Chipset ? The ULi M1575 South Bridge ? If so, what motherboard do you recommend ?
    I don't see how Gigastudio would be dependent on a certain motherboard.

Go Back to forum