• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The one that didn't make it....

Share/Bookmark

The one that didn't make it....

A recent job required a choice of two thematic cues(Short film). One made it, the other didn't.

Here's the reject in rough draft, and was a result of the director's specific instructions. (You know, I want, I want.)
    I can't put the other one up, but this one was certainly the 'more robust' of the two.
    (Directors. Go figure)

http://www.myspace.com/classicalalex

Alex.

Re: The one that didn't make it....

Very nice work. Can't think why they rejected it...

Quote Originally Posted by johnamriding
    Very nice work. Can't think why they rejected it...
    Well John, because the director got what he asked for.
    Brash, big and overblown.
    Then he heard it, and developed a little comon sense, and the second cue, although not as pretty at the start, was a little more elegant and restrained throughout..
    I had a lot of fun writing this to 'prove' his point though!

And he takes me more seriously now.

Hi - I like the composing quite a bit. Not too fond of the solo strings, but the harmony stuff is really nice. What libraries do you use btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi - I like the composing quite a bit. Not too fond of the solo strings, but the harmony stuff is really nice. What libraries do you use btw?
    Christian, i'm using my travel collection. One small self built orchestral library (recorded with fellow orchestral players in my earlier life) with some additional handmade or free soundfonts, garageband orchestral jampack and a very old set of Miroslav strings. And it's ok, i'm not that fond of the solo strings either! Harmonies are simple, and because my library and hardware is limited, i often layer up a set of strings with 'silent flutes' to give a little more warmth. Almost no volume, just the tone. (Again, travelling with limited resources inspires adaptability, which isn't a bad thing, and i do know the library well, having used it for a long time.)

Regards,

Alex.

Alex,

there are some nice orchestral colors in it. Frankly said I would expect less predictable music from a guy with LVB as Avatar ... but the context explains why.

For me the pitch of the solo violin is a little too low. That gives the beginning a somehow sad mood. It would be interesting if this would be better with corrected pitch.

All the best
    Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Alex,

there are some nice orchestral colors in it. Frankly said I would expect less predictable music from a guy with LVB as Avatar ... but the context explains why.

For me the pitch of the solo violin is a little too low. That gives the beginning a somehow sad mood. It would be interesting if this would be better with corrected pitch.

All the best
    Hannes
    Agreed, Hannes. Content was director driven, and this cue is entirely predictable. Irony to the fore.
    And it's not only the violin. The trumpet plays sharp as well in this type of music too. Funny thing is, it doesn't sound sharp with Slavic/Russian or Bavarian concert music, and the violin sits better pitchwise with russian fare. (Rimsky, Tchaikovsky, etc.) I put it down to a combination of the predominance of minor keys and literal major progressions in Russian music, (Literal major being played sharp most of the time, as the orchestra 'leans' into the intended contrast.), and the melancholy so predominant in russian folk song.

And i make no comparison at all with my music and that of LVB. (That would be outrageously disrespectful and arrogant.)
    I'm a big fan of his, but it doesn't mean i can turn out that style of music successfully.
    But, the study goes on.

Regards, and thanks for listening to you, Christian and John,

Alex.

Hi Alex,
    Sometimes it feels like we'll never know what goes through the director's head. I did enjoy the piece very much. It sounds great!
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Hi Alex,
    Sometimes it feels like we'll never know what goes through the director's head. I did enjoy the piece very much. It sounds great!
    Steph
    Thanks steph, and i apologise to you.

Erm, I didn't use any Taiko Drums.

Sorry......

Regards,

Alex!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage59
    Thanks steph, and i apologise to you.

Erm, I didn't use any Taiko Drums.

Sorry......

Regards,

Alex!
    Alex,
    you're being silly! No Need for an apology. A piece doesn't HAVE to have taikos in it for me to like it
    Steph

Go Back to forum