• Register
  • Help

Topic: Astor Piazzola - Tango (arr. for harp and violin)

Share/Bookmark

Astor Piazzola - Tango (arr. for harp and violin)

Years ago, a friend of mine made this arrangement from the string score - she's a harpist, so I think it is actually do-able <chuckle>

I used the GPO KS Harp 1 and the Guarneri solo KS Violin

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/PiazzolaTango.mp3

What a neat little piece

Enjoy,

Re: Astor Piazzola - Tango (arr. for harp and violin)

Jon,
    Now you've struck a soft spot. I love Piazzolla. I once commented to someone I have the largest Piazzolla collection in North America. I am keeping my fingers crossed that GPOA will have a bandoneon. Your rendering is quite good but I think it needs the rythemic emphasis characteristic of tango.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Jon,
    Now you've struck a soft spot. I love Piazzolla. I once commented to someone I have the largest Piazzolla collection in North America. I am keeping my fingers crossed that GPOA will have a bandoneon. Your rendering is quite good but I think it needs the rythemic emphasis characteristic of tango.
    Bill
    I agree... any clue how to set up Human Playback in Finale to do this? Or am I stuck having to edit MIDI in a DAW?

Cheers,

Jon,
    I'm an Overture guy so I can't help you there. Replicating the Argentinian soul in notation is a bear. I have listened to many tangos while reading score and I can tell you, they take rubato to new heights, lol.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

What a neat piece... and before you catch me out again, I am assuming this is Argentinian tango master Astor Piazzolla -- not Betty Lou Piazzolla from Boise... lol.

I'd agree with Bill that a more emphatic tango feel would be desirable in the rendering... though I'm not sure Human Playback is the answer. I'd suspect either some manual mangling with accents and tempi might be needed, maybe; or worse... MIDI editing in the raw.

I was trying to do a tango in Finale a short while ago, Jonathan, and I'll tell ya -- it had me stumped to really get the right feel to it.

I finally resorted to some odd x/16th meters; but even that... didn't quite get me there.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    What a neat piece... and before you catch me out again, I am assuming this is Argentinian tango master Astor Piazzolla -- not Betty Lou Piazzolla from Boise... lol.

<snip>

I was trying to do a tango in Finale a short while ago, Jonathan, and I'll tell ya -- it had me stumped to really get the right feel to it.

I finally resorted to some odd x/16th meters; but even that... didn't quite get me there..
    Yes, Astor Piazzola

I think mebbe this really wants live playing to get it right... either that or a Wacom tablet drawing WAY too many tempo changes in Sonar LOL

Go Back to forum