• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX - Slightly Confused

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX - Slightly Confused

Hello,

I've heard a lot of great things about Stylus RMX, but I was confused about one part. Will I be able to use a MIDI controller to map to single sounds (like one pad to a kick sample, one pad to a snare) and play the controller, triggering the Stylus sounds?

Thanks,
    Chinmay

Re: Stylus RMX - Slightly Confused

YES.

You can do that for individual hits in all the loops -- plus it has a separate "KIT" mode which also does that.

(But keep in mind that you will be triggering single samples only -- there are no multi-sampled drums, per se. That may not matter to you, but just keep it in mind.)

Does that mean for different velocities, the sample's volume level won't change? Would this also be the case for the grooves in RMX?

Thanks,
    Chinmay

Don't worry -- the volume level changes depending on velocity -- I just meant to say that it's the same sample every time, is all.

But yeah, the volume DOES change.

RMX is an amazing tool -- I love it! If you like the sound of those audio demos on the Spectrasonics site, you will go BONKERS with it.

Actually there are quite a few multisampled versions of the same snare, kick etc to be found in the kits and soundmenus in RMX and even more variations can be found in the loops in slice menu mode.
    But these are assigned to adjacent keys instead of being switched by velocity which is actually a benefit because that way you have every variation available at any volume.
    You can also assign velocity to control the filter to mimic the change in sound that a real drum exhibits when it is hit at different velocities.
    There is a cool video out there that shows some of the great things you can achieve with RMX when you trigger it from a padcontroller.
    http://www.alternatemode.com/RaveDrummer.shtml

Hans

It's not an acoustic drum multisample product though...that's important to know. It's geared towards remix applications, but can also be used in acoustic applications (especially with grooves) as well.

Ok, so it seems like I can play the drum samples myself using something like a pad controller. That's great! My biggest concern was that Stylus RMX wouldn't allow me to be as flexible, creatively-speaking, as I'd like. Perhaps I was confusing Stylus with a loop library, which can get repetitive and unoriginal quickly, so I wanted to make sure I could come up with my own beats.

Thanks for the help,
    Chinmay

Most definitely...it's extremely flexible and you don't have to use it for loops at all if you don't want to, since everything can be played via your MIDI controller.

Hi.What kind of controller do you have? You mention pads.So I am assuming you are not using a midi keyboard. If you are using an item like trigger finger for instance there are some things to be made aware of as to limits.But the limits I am thinking of are not static but may be something that you should know about so you don't think you can do something that you can't. More info would be helpfull. JON

I have a Korg padKontrol MIDI controller. What are the limitations regarding using it with Stylus RMX?

Go Back to forum