• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rumsfeld's Buddies

Share/Bookmark

Rumsfeld's Buddies

sponsored links

***Advertisments***

From left, Major General Paul D. Eaton, General Anthony C. Zinni, Lieutenant General Gregory Newbold, Major General John Batiste, Major General John Riggs and Major General Charles H. Swannack Jr.

When the Secretary of Defense gets public criticism from these guys, how can he continue to lead?

-JF

Re: Rumsfeld's Buddies

Aren't all the generals complaining retired?
    I'm sure they listen to them but not sure how much weight their opinions carry since they are retired.

Are you saying that since I am currently a gigging musician and no longer an electronic engineer any comments I make about electronics are invalid?

It's not like their experiences and General wisdom were erased when they received their first pension check. I think it's more along the lines of them being restrained by their professionalism from speaking to the public when they were on active duty.

Ernie

I'm assuming that what js33 meant is that gaining the respect of these guys is not a prerequisite to leading because these particular people are retired and no longer in the chain of command.

I applied for a 2nd engineer position at The Record Plant a few years ago. I had plenty of experience and the interview went great, but I didn't get the job. Why? Because I didn't have any experience with an SSL board. This demonstrates that just because you're an audio engineer doesn't mean you can walk into any studio and know what you're talking about.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

The only top brass who are likely to speak out are retired.

I've heard it said that American military officers are willing to sacrifice their lives for our country, yet unwilling to risk their careers.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The only top brass who are likely to speak out are retired.

I've heard it said that American military officers are willing to sacrifice their lives for our country, yet unwilling to risk their careers.

-JF
    I don't think it's that simple.

They are in a split position. As military personnel they have to support the president and fight the wars, agree or not. They can only criticize the "boss" privately within the structure of the military. That yoke is lifted when they retire and return to being just citizens.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ohernie
    Are you saying that since I am currently a gigging musician and no longer an electronic engineer any comments I make about electronics are invalid?

It's not like their experiences and General wisdom were erased when they received their first pension check. I think it's more along the lines of them being restrained by their professionalism from speaking to the public when they were on active duty.

Ernie
    His Frogness got it. No of course they don't forget everything it's just that they aren't in the chain of command anymore and their opinions don't carry as much weight now. But I'm sure they listen to their concerns and ideas.

Go Back to forum