• Register
  • Help

Topic: solo viola

Share/Bookmark

solo viola

just wondering if there's any way to soften the rather abrasive, metallic sound of the solo viola? It seems to be a weakness of most sample libraries for some reason. Perhaps it will be better in the promised update? Just compare to the lovely Gagli violin for instance!

Re: solo viola

Hmm ... really?

Actually I like the viola sound much more than the violins. Can you give a sample of an example?

oh well -probably by now you have enough samples. It's always fun to disagree!

I'd check out Gary's Orchestration course - "Cantabile melodies however are not so frequently written for violas as for violins and 'cellos, partly because the viola tone is slightly nasal in quality and better fitted for short characteristic phrases" - maybe that's why?

the viola has a very pronounced melacholic sound...
    using the viola section for a slow melody rather than the violins in the same register is quite a contrast. I happen to have a personal preference for using violas over violins where I can.

I find in fact the GPO viola in its lower register can indeed make for quite a beautiful melancholic sound and I have stared trying ot make use of this--it's just higher up that it's rather grating. But it's true that you hear relatively few cantabile melodies perhaps with the viola in string quartets. Ultimately it's a trade off between getting something to sound good now and something that will sound wonderful with the next GPO version!

Go Back to forum