• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mixing Tutorial Advice (for VIs)

Share/Bookmark

Question Mixing Tutorial Advice (for VIs)

Hi Folks-

Long time, no post (not Michiel, of course!) Well, with that bad joke out of the way I have a question for the folks on this board that produce some amazing, pro-quality mixes with their VIs. How does someone, who's a hack like me, learn more about mixing (both mixing and mastering) from the ground up, short of an apprenticeship at a mixing studio?

I've been renting several technical tutorials on mixing and over the years have come to understand the concepts of compression, gating, expansion, limiting, etc. I've never seen a video tutorial that puts it all together, though. I'd love to sit through one that takes a song all the way from its components to its end and then, perhaps on another chapter, a mastering session with it.

From some of the material I've read on mixing, they speak of the pitfalls using virtual versus traditional instruments. Their reasoning is that some EQ or compression has already been added to the VI or library. While, in a small mix or solo, this would make the part sound better or brighter, in a larger mix it could be difficult to place on the sound stage without adversely affecting another part.

While there's always panning, VU and EQ solutions, does anyone suggest methods specific to certain VIs or, as with traditional instruments, do you just let your ears do the work and mix appopriately?

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! And, if any of you folks ever want to create your own tutorials on mixing VIs and sample libraries, count me in on your buy list! Thanks!

--
    Chris Jarzynka

Re: Mixing Tutorial Advice (for VIs)

I think that it all comes down to having some degree of "dirt" in the mix. VIs that simulate acoustic instruments tend to be sampled with pristine accuracy, which sounds beautiful for individual notes... but when you put the whole thing together, the perfection detracts from everything. So things like unquantized sequencing, hall noise, legato phrasing, and convolution (even harmonic exciters) can go a long way.

I guess the mindset is similar to working with live instruments in that you want to preserve clarity and depth, but different in that you might want to augment human imperfections instead of reducing them.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Mixing and eq are a fine art! I think it's useful to think of it as a category of ear training, best if practiced thoroughly, preferably by changing one or two things at a time and listening. For VIs, I think there are too many variables to make a quick tutorial. Just covering the differences in micing distances between the different orchestral libraries could take up a lot of time...

I also agree with the idea of enhancing the "human" feel. I've got a great video by Brian Tankersly where he says something to the effect that the best bass lines are a bit "greasy"... Not that there's any connection to that last sentence, but have you checked out Bela D's Scoring Noise samples?

Hi Chris

I am kind of if the same stage you are in. I've been passionately learning about mixing and mastering for a year now. It takes a lot of time and dedication to learn this. You have to get a sense of what kind of sound to look for and when to eq, compress etc. I know lots of people in this forum put out some incredible mixes that sound well mastered and professional. One of the biggest help I've found is in the web and forums. What I do quite a bit is do A/B comparison to well mastered CD's. I know I've come a long way with improving my sound, but I know that I still have a long way to go to get that well polished pro sound. But I am determinded to get there.

There are many sites that provide help and support for finalizing a mix. Here are a few of them but you may already be aware of this.

http://www.izotope.com
    Download the free PDF's on mastering and dithering.

http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/tipspcmusic/index.html
    Can also print the PDF's for later reference.

Hope this helps

Go here

http://recordingschool.biz/recording...c42788b693ead3

Download their mixing videos. They have helped me.
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Thumbs up Re: Mixing Tutorial Advice (for VIs)

Thanks all for the quick responses! I'll definitely check out those links. As this is a hobby, I never expect to get to the level of some of the amazing work done from the folks on the Northern Sounds Forum. Still, it's always great to get pushed in the right direction and make the most out of my music.

I knew I came to the right place! Thanks again!

Steve-

I just downloaded Mixing-MasterClass Vol 1 and it's amazing! This is exactly what I was looking for: a pop song mixed from scratch with all the tricks and techniques used.

Sadly, this video will now cost me $1200+ I HAVE to buy the UAD card now because those compressors are BEAUTIFUL! Thanks again!

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jarzynka
    Thanks all for the quick responses! I'll definitely check out those links. As this is a hobby, I never expect to get to the level of some of the amazing work done from the folks on the Northern Sounds Forum. Still, it's always great to get pushed in the right direction and make the most out of my music.

I knew I came to the right place! Thanks again!
    Don't be intimidated, or be in awe of anyone Chris. There's no one who posts here who knows much about the subject.....they just got lucky a couple of times.........

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jarzynka
    Sadly, this video will now cost me $1200+ I HAVE to buy the UAD card now because those compressors are BEAUTIFUL!
    I know what you mean... I have THREE UAD-1 cards...!

Thanks, Frank!

In all sincerity, though, the work I've heard from the talented folks on this forum are the equal, if not better, than most commercial mixes I've heard in the past five years. I enjoy the fact that you leave some actual dynamics in your pieces instead of maximizing everything to 99.9% of peak like most commercial tracks.

You should all be proud of the work you do. It's always inspiring to come here and listen to people's demo work. Whether paid or unpaid, there's at least one fan (and likely more) out there soaking it in! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Don't be intimidated, or be in awe of anyone Chris. There's no one who posts here who knows much about the subject.....they just got lucky a couple of times.........

Frank

Go Back to forum