• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Studiologic VMK-88 Vs. TMK-88

Share/Bookmark

OT: Studiologic VMK-88 Vs. TMK-88

I'm looking for an 88-key master keyboard for my studio that has as light an action/feel as possible, preferably non-weighted like a synth.

I recently tried the VMK-88 at a store. Its action was light; great. However, I don’t need all the knobs and faders. Does anyone know if the TMK-88 has the same keyboard/feel as the VMK-88?

Also, what’s the difference between the VMK-88 and the VMK-88 Plus? (also in terms of action)

Thanks!

Re: OT: Studiologic VMK-88 Vs. TMK-88

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarin Man
    I'm looking for an 88-key master keyboard for my studio that has as light an action/feel as possible, preferably non-weighted like a synth...Does anyone know if the TMK-88 has the same keyboard/feel as the VMK-88?
    I have a TMK-88. They call it semi-weighted but the action feels un-weighted. It's a lot of keys for $250, but it's not a great controller. There's no pitch bend, there's just one un-assignable foot controll jack (sustain), you can not change MIDI channel, and at that price of course there is no after-touch. Also, the keys are pretty noisy. Bank and program changes are done by pressing a button and then a key.

Thanks for the feedback, Amy. Since I will be using a seperate controller for pitchbend, modwheel, pedals, knobs, etc, I'm primarily looking at the keyboard action and how it compares to the VMK-88...

I've also been looking for a lightweight 88 key keyboard to use when away from my studio and to offer a light feel when my SL880 feels too heavy. Are there any other options? I would prefer it light, small (full size keys), black, having a modwheel and both USB/MIDI connections. Aftertouch is a bonus.

The combination of 88-keys and light feel seems to be very hard to come by. After doing some research I'm going for either the VMK-88 or TMK-88..

Other options are: M-Audio Keystation 88es, Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard. Also there seem to quite some 88-key semi-weighted e-pianos and stage pianos around..

Incidentally, are there many VI's that respond to aftertouch, i.e. have parameters assigned to it..?

hi,
    i have the tmk88 and its a great board if you dont need lots of buttons, just a controller. and as far as i know its the lightest possible 88 key keyboard at 13 pounds. yamaha shmamaha. well, id get one if i had the money and someone to carry it around for me

Matthew, do you know if the TMK-88 has the same keyboard/feel as the VMK-88?

I don't know for a fact, but they certinly feel alike. I have the VMK-88, very light but I cannot recommend it - it is too slow in response to controllers and patch changes. The TMK has less stuff hung on it and responds reasonably well. They feel very good for a controller less than 15 lbs but U will probably sell my VMK-88 and get the new M-Audio ProKeys 88sx. It feels about the same, weighs just 17 lbs and has onboard sounds - not great sounds but:

2 grands (one has a whopping 2 layers!)
    Rhodes, Wurli DX7
    clav
    B3 patch sort of 888000000 with 3rd percussion
    3 pedals - sustain, sostenuto and cc.
    pitch and mod
    USB and MIDI I/O

So I can use this as the lower manual of a two-keyboard rig, the top being the M-Audio Axiom 61. This gives me two manuals for total weight of about 31 lbs, I can use this with a laptop for live performance - the upper keys as a B4 and synth controller, lower keys for paino, lower Hammond manual, etc. And if the laptop dies (mine will play fine for an hour and then just - shut off. No warning, no error message, it just turns off. But if that happens, I can just switch to the lower keyboard and have basic onboard sounds enough to keep going while the computer restarts...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Thanks for your input, Dasher.

The M-Audio ProKeys 88sx is also a nice option indeed, though a bit more weighted than the VMK/TMK-88. Since I want as light an action as possible, I'm gonna go with the TMK-88..

Go Back to forum