• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: String Trio No. 2

Share/Bookmark

String Trio No. 2

I just put up a new piece if anyone cares to have a listen. All comments welcome, good or bad, just don't blast me too hard. I don't want to water down my coffee too far. I'm really 'not' trying to offend anybody's ears, with my meager offerings. I seem to have trouble getting my dynamics to work the way I would like them to. I don't know if it's me or the program. The rest is all me, with my somewhat fractured fairy tail style, and compositional ignorance, but,,, I still have fun, even if no one else does.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=779033&t=7079

Char.

Re: String Trio No. 2

This was nice work Mezzo!

There's a strong melody here with some interesting counterpoint.

Nice job!

~Jeff

Hi Mezzo --I'm glad someone else is posting stuff for solo string ensemble as I haven't seen much since I started looking (ok, it hasn't been long so apologies to all those who have posted wonderful string quartets or whatever which I have yet to discover) and your trio is well worth posting. Dynamics are not easy with GPO solo strings because of the excessive contrast between the standard sustained and upbowing techniques as I see it and am still waiting for someone to suggest that I might be doing something wrong (which I quite likely am!). In general, with Overture, it's easiest just to put standard dynamic markings which work quite well and it might be worth in some places running over with the mod wheel (set the record mode to Mod wheel only to avoid over recording the notes, assuming you have this in Score writer).

Look forward to hearing more from you!

Writing for soli strings or small string ensembles is one of the tougher things to do compositionally, to begin with.

And nuancing the GPO for this -- partly because each instrument is so exposed -- definitely requires skill and practice... and probably a darned good hand with the mod wheel.

But I wouldn't worry about watering down your coffee... lol -- this is certainly a most creditable effort on your part.

Keep on posting!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Really liked the ctpt. starting just before the 2 minute mark - it was very attention grabbing.
    Keep posting, and keep working on the realization - it takes a lot of time...

R. Pearl

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I've always had a tendency to get lost in the melodies. In the beginning, I didn't even know what I was dealing with. I guess I had forgotten a lot, because I never really used it in singing. At least not as in any kind of analysis as to what was actually going on in a piece. For some reason, I just started out writing that way, and now I don't think I could write any other way. I'm just trying to find ways to smooth things out, because I think a lot of my pieces still tend to be somewhat choppy. Who knows... maybe it comes from singing opera. There would always be somebody answering someone. Everything else seems to be boring.

Char.

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    This was nice work Mezzo!

There's a strong melody here with some interesting counterpoint.

Nice job!

~Jeff

Hmmm. Not sure now exactly what you are referring to. There was one place before this that I really liked, but it didn't come out the way I wanted it to, as in bringing an instrument to the foreground. Still working on it, but realism.... wouldn't that be great!!! I've heard other people's pieces on here, so I know it can be done. I used to think of my MIDI pieces as experaments. Now I'm saying it all over again, because I'm still trying to learn the controls.

Char.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Really liked the ctpt. starting just before the 2 minute mark - it was very attention grabbing.
    Keep posting, and keep working on the realization - it takes a lot of time...

R. Pearl

I've heard this before. In some ways it makes sense, because you have fewer instruments to bring out any fullness, but writing for an orchestra, where you have different timbres to deal with, seems like it would be much more difficult. Thanks for your kindness, because I really need my coffee in the morning!

Char.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Writing for soli strings or small string ensembles is one of the tougher things to do compositionally, to begin with.

And nuancing the GPO for this -- partly because each instrument is so exposed -- definitely requires skill and practice... and probably a darned good hand with the mod wheel.

But I wouldn't worry about watering down your coffee... lol -- this is certainly a most creditable effort on your part.

Keep on posting!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi,

I'm sure there's other stuff out there. I haven't had a whole lot of time myself to check things out, but what I've heard, is really great.

For me, I'm sure there are things that I just haven't discovered yet, as far as the software goes. Some things are very subtle, but what I'm frustrated with, is putting markings in the music, and not having them do what they are supposed to do, as in a gradual crescendo or something. Maybe I'm somehow not entering them correctly to make the software work. Don't know. I just know that musically, what I've entered, should work if you were reading it. I guess that leads me to a question. In reality, I am using two different pieces of software. Does anyone know if the controls between the notation software and Kontakt player, conflict? Say if you set volumn controls in one place, will they conflict with volumn controls in another? Thanks for your comments. I think I'm going to just write a line of music and go through all the controls to see if I can decern what's going on. I actually have Overture 4, but have been very hesitant to put it on this computer, because I couldn't get it to work on our last computer. I found out that once you install it, it won't open up any Overture SE pieces, if you try to go back to using that program. It could be that I wasn't setting it up correctly, or it could have been the awful computer I was trying to use it on, but because I don't know which it was, I'm terribly afraid of messing up the works. At least Overture SE, appears to be working.

Char.

Quote Originally Posted by dko22
    Hi Mezzo --I'm glad someone else is posting stuff for solo string ensemble as I haven't seen much since I started looking (ok, it hasn't been long so apologies to all those who have posted wonderful string quartets or whatever which I have yet to discover) and your trio is well worth posting. Dynamics are not easy with GPO solo strings because of the excessive contrast between the standard sustained and upbowing techniques as I see it and am still waiting for someone to suggest that I might be doing something wrong (which I quite likely am!). In general, with Overture, it's easiest just to put standard dynamic markings which work quite well and it might be worth in some places running over with the mod wheel (set the record mode to Mod wheel only to avoid over recording the notes, assuming you have this in Score writer).

Look forward to hearing more from you!

Mezzo! I can't get your music from Acid Planet. So disappointing not to be able to hear a fellow Western New Yorkers work.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast