• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Microsoft GarageBand?

Share/Bookmark

Microsoft GarageBand?

MicrosoftWatch.com reports:
    "Microsoft is still pushing full-steam-ahead with a music-making program, code-named “Monaco,” according to Microsoft partners who requested anonymity. Monaco would be very similar to Apple’s GarageBand application, but would be optimized to take advantage of Windows Vista and the Aero user interface.
    GarageBand is Apple's MacOS application for amateur musicians. It comes with 1,000 pre-recorded sampled loops, and 50 sampled or synthesised instruments that can be played using a MIDI keyboard connected to the computer, or using an on-screen keyboard.

Monaco will be aimed at the same audience, sources said, and will be positioned in the same way – except that it will work on Windows only. Microsoft also is expected to play up Monaco's use of Microsoft-devised search algorithms for finding particular music clips.
    I recently wrote about the Microsoft Audio Summit how impressed I was with the Windows audio team. The vast majority of the team are musicians who are dedicated to make the next version of Windows a great audio platform. It looks like there are fabulous things ahead and will be interesting to see what the music technology landscape looks like a year from now.

Gary Garritan

Re: Microsoft GarageBand?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    It looks like there are fabulous things ahead and will be interesting to see what the music technology landscape looks like a year from now.
    agreed.

....and they are working on a band friendly competitor to MySpace in the next release of MSN/Live Spaces this summer. No doubt they will link these together along with maybe MSN Music.
    -david abraham
    Facebook

"Why don't we just give Bill Gates all our money now and get it over with?"
    --Mike Doonesbury
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

As usual, Apple comes up with the idea and Bill steals it.

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    How true. There isn't much to be excited about when it comes to Microsoft. At best they rip off somebody elses idea and come up with a working and affordable product. In the worst case they make an 'innovation' and use their prominent market share to forcefully promote a product that cripples their clients' workflow for months.

I recently heard one guy say that Microsoft isn't the evil empire, or anything of the kind - it's just that they have so much cash that they can get into a business without the need to make any money.

Say you have a legit business struggling along with seven people. Here comes Microsoft with 70 people in your business area - one that simply can't support those salaries. It's like a herd of elephants trampling your garden.

The elephants aren't evil. They just live in a different reality than the gardeners.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by rikp

Peace

rikp
    Oh come on. You think that Apple wouldn't do the same? Intel chips? A mouse with more than one button?

D

Heh -- I wonder what the folks from Xerox' PARC center would have to say about this discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Heh -- I wonder what the folks from Xerox' PARC center would have to say about this discussion...

Actually, It was the Rochester, NY Xerox dudes that gave away the farm

Peace

rikp

I wonder if they'll also develope easy to use photo and video editing software and release a package called mLife?
    Tim

Go Back to forum