• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Solo Strings--VSL or KHSS or London Strings?

Share/Bookmark

Solo Strings--VSL or KHSS or London Strings?

Can someone give me feedback on which string library might be the best bang for the buck. I am doing pop/folk/jazz mostly vocal oriented music. Am wondering what advantage if any 24 bit might have over 16 bit-- Articulations are important obviously, as is the mix with my style of music. As usual, all comments are appreciated.

Re: Solo Strings--VSL or KHSS or London Strings?

What is your budget?

300-$500--

I don't have VSL or the London Strings, but I've been playing with Kirk Hunter's Emerald and Chamber Strings for about a week now and they are very nice! You can pick up the previous version for $199 to get started and then upgrade to the new version for $125. (Or just buy the new Emerald/chamber strings combo now for $325...)

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/khsogigaork2.html

I have KH solo strings as well. They sound very nice and playable.

But if I had to do it all over again starting now, I'd probably buy the Horizon solo strings by Vienna with the new sampler they have to run their libraries. The demos are very impressive and seem to be the way to combine natural performance with a smart sampler brain to choose articulation.

check it out
    Steve Hanlon, guitarist/composer
    Logic 7, PowerMac DP 2.0 (8- RAM slot model), 4GB RAM, OS 10.4.11
    UAD-1 Ultra Pak
    Lots of V.I. and sound effects
    Apogee Rosetta 200
    Great River ME-1NV
    Blue Sky Monitors

Or Chamber VI if you want ensemble...You could always layer it with something els for a bigger effect...

I think that VSL is out of your league price wise at the moment. I would check out KH.

D

Don't forget the Garritan Strad. Sounds very expressive to me - should be good for a folk/jazz type of thing.
    Only a violin for now but there's supposed to be cello and viola on the way.

Tim

For the price you can't beat the Kirk Hunter Emerald library. The solo instruments are very good and have plenty of articulations. Enough to keep anyone busy for a while. You have to have the full version of Kontakt to use them though. He also has legato scripts on the way for the library and some updates out and to be released.

I'd strongly consider going this route.

I have KHSS and London Solo Strings - KHSS is far better (except mono). London Solo Strings is severely lacking in long bow articulations - so much so I find it is unusable for most projects, although it has plenty (maybe too many) short bow articulations.

Go Back to forum