• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What next...?

Share/Bookmark

What next...?

I bet you're all sick to death of these sorts of posts, but try and humour me...!

I'd like to augment my current set up (EWSilverXP) with something to get a more flexible and realistic sound before I graduate in a couple of months and start doing this stuff 'for real' in merry olde London.

Given that I've got a cornet, and can use that to play or augment brass lines for more realism, I'm thinking towards Strings or Woodwinds - and I think strings would make the most difference.

What I'm after is a realistic sound, and importantly something that can do decent legato lines without four-thousand keyswitches.

The VI Solo string demos sound impressive to me - and the portamento/legato sounds like what I'm after, but I've heard lots of horror stories about the reliability/ease of use/final sound etc of VSL stuff.
    With my budget being under £300 (before you laugh - note the bit about me still being a student ) I'm probably looking towards:

VI solo strings
    London solo strings
    Kirk Hunter solo strings

So - anyone know anything about these libraries in terms of getting a realistic and expressive sound (especially legato and portamento) - or perhaps any other libs that might suit..?

TIA

Re: What next...?

VSL is surely the tickey, judging by what your after.

The horror stories of the difficulty of use was before their VI.

Now its almost load and play (or rather it is load and play,but you will have loads of fun setting up your patches just right)

The VI is really phenomenal.

My main worry with the VSL VIs is that I'll use them for 30mins and then feel restricted by not having the extended library. (although I think you get to test the ext lib for a month, but you get the point...)

- So is it possible to carry-off good, convincing sounding stuff using 'just' the standard library?

Quote Originally Posted by wilx
    My main worry with the VSL VIs is that I'll use them for 30mins and then feel restricted by not having the extended library. (although I think you get to test the ext lib for a month, but you get the point...)

- So is it possible to carry-off good, convincing sounding stuff using 'just' the standard library?
    Here is what I'll do, i just wont use it for the first 30 days, that's it!

How do you know what is part of the extended content BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001

How do you know what is part of the extended content BTW?
    It tells you on the website.

D

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    You talk as if I'm somebody with willpower! Seriously...

The point still stands though - can I get anything approaching the realism of the VI Solo strings demos on VSL's website with just the standard lib?

You talk as if I'm somebody with willpower! Seriously...

The point still stands though - can I get anything approaching the realism of the VI Solo strings demos on VSL's website with just the standard lib?
    Go listen to the Solo Violin Horizon series witch has the same content as the VI standard and tell me your not impress, listen to the solo legato, detacher (completely exposed), death and the maiden ect....

Geronimo.

I didn't realize the Horizon solo strings were essentially the same as the new VI (apart from the interface & 24bit etc) - and the demos sound like just what I'm after. Now I just need to wait for that cash...!

I didn't realize the Horizon solo strings were essentially the same as the new VI (apart from the interface & 24bit etc) - and the demos sound like just what I'm after. Now I just need to wait for that cash...!
    Same here, desperately waiting....

Well - the extended does have some cool stuff surely! But its still the best thing out there. Then when you get more money, upgrade. You can even upgrade per instrument (like if you only have enough to upgrade the violin, you can do that). Its slightly more expenssive in the ong run to do it per instrument, but its a way of getting there.

Go Back to forum