• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GVI v GStudio 3 - Pros/Cons?

Share/Bookmark

GVI v GStudio 3 - Pros/Cons?

Simple question really.

Will there be any disadvantages to GVI (vs. GS3)?

I still have gigastudio 2.54 (currently unable to use it since I just upraded to dual core AMD) and I'm wondering if I should just hold out for GVI before I upgrade to GS3. (also, I really miss gigastudio right now)

Or should I just get GS3 and add GVI later, considering upgrade price is 2.54 to GS3 = $350 plus $50 for GVI (when released), vs 2.54 to GVI = $250.

Would I get more out of GS3? or is GVI exactly GS3 as VST.

GIga Pulse included?

editing capabilities the same?

polyphony / stability / flexibility / etc.?

I only ask because uprgade pricing seems askew.

thanks,

asa

Re: GVI v GStudio 3 - Pros/Cons?

Quote Originally Posted by asabot
    Simple question really.

Will there be any disadvantages to GVI (vs. GS3)?
    Well it's new and has not been tested if you know what i mean.

IMO, you should get GS3 ens.(4x port, 160 voice poly., limited giga puls use though) it's now at $129.99 for a limited time. And you can upgrade from that to GVI for $100...that way you keep your GS2.5 licenses and save money on GS3... unless you absolutely want the full GS3 orchestra for full access to giga puls....BTW Giga puls VST is now 1/2 price and that's what i would get instead so i could use it in my sequencer. With my plan you end up with 4 licenses for the same price and more possibilities i think.

My question would be: do you get to keep the license to what you upgraded from. For instance, if you go from GS3 Orch to GVI for $50, do you still have full rights to GS3 with the ability to get patches and upgrade it to 3.x.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    My question would be: do you get to keep the license to what you upgraded from. For instance, if you go from GS3 Orch to GVI for $50, do you still have full rights to GS3 with the ability to get patches and upgrade it to 3.x.
    I assumed so, my guess is yes, it's got to be yes. I'll be reel disappointed if not.......

Really the only "disadvantage" of GVI vs GS3 that I can think of is that the VST standard only allows for 16 midi ports.

This will mean that multiple instances of GVI will be needed for larger projects. Hopefully multiple instances can be used without issues with disk streaming and resource sharing.

The system performance as a VSTi vs. kernal level virtual hardware will also be something to keep an eye on. One would assume that the VSTi will be less efficient due to the overhead of going through the sequencer-VST interface.

Does anyone know if the GVI will have the DSP station of standalone Giga? Obviously not a big deal either way as the VSTi will route to the sequencer audio engine, but it's nice to have the flexibility.

I think the pros will fall in favor of GVI. Here's how I see it -

* Routing and DSP in host instead of GS - rewire was a little messy
    * Delay compensation in host
    * If you have more than 2GB ram you will be able to implement the /3GB (?) switch and be able to load more samples than GS (possibly) - it is said to work for Kontakt
    * Less (no?) blue screens (hopefully) since GVI will not run in kernel mode

The only con I can think of may be that some of your gsp files will not load in GVI because it is basically one GS port.

I believe that GVI will handle embedded instruments with GigaPulse, but doesn't include the GigaPulse Pro of GS3 Orchestra.

This is a simplification, but GVI alone would be more comparable to GS3 Ensembe, and GVI with GigaPulse VSTi would be somewhat comparable to GS3 Orchestra.

However, for large projects, my guess is that GS3 would be more efficient than GVI/GP-VSTi in terms of polyphony and processing efficiency. I'm not sure about RAM efficiency for loading lots of samples.

-JF

My bet is that Jon is on the right track... On the topic of RAM you will be able to load more samples with GVI as it runs completely in user-mode and will benefit from the 3GB switch if you have more than 2GB of RAM (and a LargeAddressAware host application).

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    My bet is that Jon is on the right track... On the topic of RAM you will be able to load more samples with GVI as it runs completely in user-mode and will benefit from the 3GB switch if you have more than 2GB of RAM (and a LargeAddressAware host application).

/Mattias
    Is Cubase such a beast?

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Is Cubase such a beast?
    In the case of SX3, yes.

D

Go Back to forum