• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO-JABB Combined

Share/Bookmark

GPO-JABB Combined

Hi All:

My first JABB attempt was a GPO/JABB combination and is called "New Ballad"--a simple AABA composition just like the ballads of the 30s, 40s and 50s. To date, the piece has no lyrics. Not a biggie.

I first orchestrated the piece for symphony orchestra with the flute and clarinet (an octave apart) sharing the melody over lush strings. These two instruments "sing" the melody throughout (in section ONE) as if a vocalist were performing with the orchestra.

That's why a change of instruments was not read into the orchestral script; however, French Horns help rhapsodize the orchestration at the end of section ONE. This was all done with GPO.

I use Steinberg's V-Stack as a VST host, so GPO and JABB Kontakt players can cohabitate all at once. A nifty setup.

Section TWO is a "swing" version of the same piece (song) and uses 8 WWs, 7 brass, and percussion. It also includes a "George Shearing" quintet-style appearance in the second half (my interpretation of his playing) as well as some space devoted to the latin beat. Another first I have tried was using French Horns in the "swing" mode (last 16 bars). They are being used in jazz more and more these days, although I employ them in a supporting role. All of the "swing" portion was done with JABB.

Decisions were difficult for effects using the two libraries in one piece and also trying to combine a symphony setting with a Big Band sound.

Let's just say that this combination is what I call a "Theatre Orchestra--a symphonic setting with saxophones and other band instruments.

Since this is my first attempt with JABB, I realize I need a lot of practice using the library, but, because it was a large undertaking, it was also a great adventure. Most of all, I learned a lot by doing it (on my little Mac and PC laptops).

You can here it here: http://cannonscores.com/NewBallad.mp3

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Smile Re: GPO-JABB Combined

Great chart, Jack! Nice song and great horn writing! Great string writing! I LOVE the sound of the Big Band. It seems like you've done this a one or two or three times before. I would LOVE to hear this piece played by the intended live musicians for the big band and orchestra!

Without a doubt, the JABB library has a bit of a learning curve associated with it so that the instruments sound more than just a computer-based sound library. (At least the learning curve is kind of steep for me. ) However, I agree with you that the process of learning how to use JABB is a "great journey"! A lot of fun! And I do believe that the JABB sound library can be utilized to create convincing audio tracks.

Without a doubt, there's great writing demonstrated here. This chart is written with great craft and talent. And the joy of sequencing it and learning to control the JABB is evident too.

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: GPO-JABB Combined

Great chart, Jack -- really enjoyed this one.

There's a lot of potential combining GPO and JABB, and I think you're reaching it.

This "Theater Orchestra" sound, more symphonic, is a real meal for the ears!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is very nice, Mr. Cannon! I really enjoyed your fine composition. It was obviously a lot of work.

Thank you for posting it.

My best,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Nice composition, flows nicely and sounds good. I like your horn writing in this. It I plan to get JABB in the future and it's nice to hear what others are doing with it.

Clark

Wonderful work!

Very smoooth... with a terrific melody.

I agree that there was a great deal of time put into this arrangement. it certainly shows.!

Can't wait to hear more!

~Jeff

Very nice harmonies! I really like the melody too. You really did an excellent job of capturing the harmonic style, and also in the orchestration. I can definitely hear the flute/clarinet line as a vocalist. I definitely encourage you to come up with some lyrics. On a technical note, I think if you delved into some of the controllers, like air flow, and vibrato, you can really bring this melody to life. When you get into the swing section (where the curtain opens and the light comes up on the orchestra...at least that's what I picture), I really like that part.

The only part that didn't really do anything for me was the Latin section. It kind of felt as though the percussion changed style, but the saxes and strings continue playing their long legato style. The staccato woodwinds toward the end of the phrase help reinforce what you are going for. But that is just my opinion, and should be taken only as such.

Overall, I really like this. The best way I can describe this tune is "tasty." Very good work!

Very nice harmonies! I really like the melody too. You really did an excellent job of capturing the harmonic style, and also in the orchestration. I can definitely hear the flute/clarinet line as a vocalist. I definitely encourage you to come up with some lyrics. On a technical note, I think if you delved into some of the controllers, like air flow, and vibrato, you can really bring this melody to life. When you get into the swing section (where the curtain opens and the light comes up on the orchestra...at least that's what I picture), I really like that part.

The only part that didn't really do anything for me was the Latin section. It kind of felt as though the percussion changed style, but the saxes and strings continue playing their long legato style. The staccato woodwinds toward the end of the phrase help reinforce what you are going for. But that is just my opinion, and should be taken only as such.

Overall, I really like this. The best way I can describe this tune is "tasty." Very good work!

Ted:

Thanks for your gracious appraisal of the Ballad. I really appreciate your input and it has motivated me to newer, more lofty goals.

David:

Thanks David. Your words are always so uplifting and very much appreciated.

Mr. Larry (LOL):

Hey Tyler man. A big Texas thank-you (lived there for 10 years and went to Texas A&M) for listening. It is gratifying to receive a review from the most prolific composer on this Forum. Your comments are generous and give me impetus to score some more charts.

Hey Clark:

Thanks for listening and your kudos regarding the horn writing. Hope you enjoy JABB as much as I do after working with it awhile.

Jeff:

A definite pleasure to read your kind words. You captured what I wanted to express in this piece, "smooth" and "terrific melody." Your mention of those words made the whole project worthwhile.

jmc:

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment so comprehensively. I never had a lyricist hear this piece, but your emphasis in that area now generates interest.

Also appreciated your in-depth analysis of the latter part of the JABB section.

NOTE:

Isn't anyone going to say I sounded like George Shearing for 8 bars? LOL
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thumbs up Re: GPO-JABB Combined

Jack,

This is beautiful and relaxing. I like it very much.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast