• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: March - Third Mvt. of Harp Suite

Share/Bookmark

March - Third Mvt. of Harp Suite

It's finally here! After however long it took me to complete it, my suite for celtic & orchestral harps has been completed, 3 and a half weeks before it has to be performed.

This time around, it's the final movement, and so both harps are playing together! I also made use of two different tunings of the harps throughout the piece to create an usually obscure amount of transposition for harp writing. Both are based on a Bb minor scale, but the celtic harp includes a major 3 (mi), and the orchestral harp includes a major 6 (la). And so, if playing a melody in collaboration, I can state the melody in Bb major with a minor 7 (te), and then later on in the piece "modulate" by changing which part the harp plays, and it becomes a fully minor scale. There's a few other examples of using the two scales in colaboration to make some interesting chords and passages, so I hope they're apparent enough.

March

Additionally, here is the full suite, which I've given the title Membrane Melodies

Metamorphosis
    Memories
    March

Enjoy!

Re: March - Third Mvt. of Harp Suite

Leif:

Enjoyd your harp suite addition very much, especially after 2m30s where you employ the low bass effects and the antiphonal voicing above.

I would like to hear this played live. A really good composition. And, the GPO harp sounds marvelous.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Leif, you never disappoint.

Fascinating piece; though that tale of dual harp engineering makes my hair hurt... lol.

Excellent work -- I've listened through this several times with much admiration!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wonderful work Leif!

You've created some terrific harp harmonies here! A very impressive arrangement, and very well paced.

I'm always fond of Celtic works... yet there's a contemporary feel to this one.

It'll certainly receive favorable applause during a live performance.

A Terrific piece!

~jeff

Leif, this work is really amazing. There are some very nice harmonies, melodies, and just good writing. I hope you are able to get a good recording. Congratulations!

Some of the techniques in this have me fascinated -- think I've listened to it over a dozen times, now.

Leif, I'd greatly enjoy seeing the score for this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Smile Re: March - Third Mvt. of Harp Suite

Leif -

I wish I was able to hear your composition as it is performed. These pieces are beautiful; very moving. Well crafted.

Just wonderfully beautiful, Leif. . . . .

Good luck with your performance of your music.

Ted

Thanks for the great feedback everyone, it's really nice to hear a response after all the work I put in on the pieces

David, I'll see what I can do about the score. I haven't done something like that before, but I'd love to be able to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone, it's really nice to hear a response after all the work I put in on the pieces

David, I'll see what I can do about the score. I haven't done something like that before, but I'd love to be able to share it.
    Looking forward to it.

I forget -- do you use Finale for notation?

Getting it over to PDF is easy enough -- if you need help on that, let me know [PM me, or email me off my www.DavidSosnowski.com contact form].

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Like the other movements, this is very effective. I agree it would be delightful to hear them live - although the GPO realization is very good.

Very, very nice work.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast