• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Win XP on Mac-Intel

Share/Bookmark

Win XP on Mac-Intel

I am just curious. With the official Apple news that Mac-Intel users can now install WindowsXP on their systems, how many of you that are not currently on Mac platform will make the switch to Mac-Intel and how many current Mac-users will upgrade to the new Mac-Intel to use WinXP. I for one will seriously consider the move. I am not currently a Mac user.

Deak

Re: Win XP on Mac-Intel

I didn`t know this was official, I thought it was UNofficial.
    But I think this is great if you use OSX mainly and
    thinking of using Windows too.Or if your a Windows user and
    thinking of using OSX.
    You always make separate partitions and install both OSX and XP.
    That would be cool.

Well, I am so happy that I finally switched to Mac OSX, I can't see any reason to go back and struggle with Windows again.

It will be strange to find Windows on a Mac

I am currently a Mac user and am very happy staying this way. However, I think having the option of Windows XP as well is an added bonus! - I develop multimedia software for a living, and although I always author my projects on the Mac, I do have to test and produce Windows versions. - I don't want to have to buy a PC just to do this. - Until now I've always used VirtualPC (which isn't great even on a G5), or better still used someone else's PC for testing.

Having a 'real' PC working on a MacBook is great, as I only need one machine - which for 99% of the time will be running Mac OS X. Then for the 1% of the time I actually need Windows, a simple re-boot is all that's required.

In terms of music use, I think this is great also - as we finally have a level playing field in which to pit one platform against the other (if you're interested in that sort of thing). Once universal binaries are out for Kontakt etc. we will be able to test Kontakt on Windows vs. Kontakt on Mac OS X on exactly the same spec'd hardware. - We'll have a definitive answer to the which is faster Mac or PC? (Providing of course that the Mac versions are optimised properly)

Just for the record though, as a Mac user it's not all about speed and hardware specs - (which is what Mac user's have been saying for years). The joy of using OS X on a daily basis for me is an instrumental factor in choosing Mac OS X over Windows. - Hopefully, now the last stumbling block has been removed for people wishing to switch to Mac, people will finally pluck up the courage and give it a try!

What's the point? Either you're a Mac user or a Windows user. Why pay overinflated prices for Mac hardware when you want to use Windows?

The whole Apple concept for years has been that the OS was written specifically for a certain hardware. That has some weight (even if it doesn't necessarily mean the computers don't crash!). Windows will never be written specifically for Apple hardware, so what makes you think that Windows will run better on a Mac than on anything else?

I know my way around the inside of a PC, but I'm certainly not interested in the slightest in building my own. However in the last 10 years of ownership and purchase of off the shelf PC's, I've never had a bad one. I've never experienced significant problems with my hardware, never had issues of timing either in MIDI or audio. Track counts are dependent on hardware... once again, they always will be. Research before you buy... that's all, and will always apply.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    What's the point? Either you're a Mac user or a Windows user. Why pay overinflated prices for Mac hardware when you want to use Windows?
    I don't want to use Windows - I am forced to sometimes because everyone else does and I need to cater for everyone, not just my fellow Mac users!

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    Windows will never be written specifically for Apple hardware, so what makes you think that Windows will run better on a Mac than on anything else?
    I think you're missing the point, if you think people will choose to buy a Mac just to run Windows on. People will buy an Intel Mac in order to run Windows and Mac OS X. But if you're interested how well Windows runs on a Mac, just look here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03...re_duo_laptop/

The question here is what is Mac's market strategy, not what can we do with this information today. In the near future where is Mac going, what type of company are they going to be, will they be able to capture market share and increase profits. After all. it is a company, with a responsibility to shareholders.

Very interesting!
    Jim

P4, 3.4 ghz, XP Pro SP2, 2 gig ram

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan
    I don't want to use Windows - I am forced to sometimes because everyone else does and I need to cater for everyone, not just my fellow Mac users!

I think you're missing the point, if you think people will choose to buy a Mac just to run Windows on. People will buy an Intel Mac in order to run Windows and Mac OS X.

You're a developer... that's hardly a typical user. Personally I don't think a typical user wants or needs to use both platforms.

On a more specialized note of audio recording, if you follow the recommended advice of audio professionals everywhere, and keep your audio computer clean, you won't be interested in running two OS'es. You can only run one at a time, so what's the point? Choose your platform, and stick with it. IF they get to a point where you can run both simultaneously, that would probably change things... we're not there.

But if you're interested how well Windows runs on a Mac, just look here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03...re_duo_laptop/
    My point was not about performance - that is a constant tail chasing game that will lead you nowhere, but will cost you dearly.
    I was referring to the Apple ethos that is reliability of software due to being designed to run on specific hardware... its actually something I don't believe (I've had ProTools crash on my G5, and DSP Quattro (a Mac only app) crashes frequently if you do the wrong thing, even Apple's own Final Cut Pro has crashed a few times on my G5), but that has been a major selling point for them.

And just to make it clear to you, I'm not a Mac hater - I'm writing this post on a Powerbook... I'm sitting next to a G5 capturing some video which I'll later be sync'ing up some audio to make a professional DVD. At home I choose to use a PC - for creative writing, sequencing and synthesis, my preferred software is Cubase - I find it runs better on Windows. My preferred sampler is Kontakt - it runs better on Windows. And the VST plugins - many of my preferred effects plugins and synth plugins are only available on Windows. I use both platforms daily. I don't actually find a whole lot of difference between them - I'm not sure why Mac users find Windows so "difficult". Apart from a couple of keyboard shortcuts that sometimes screw me up, I can move between them smoothly.

I think that this is a great marketing ploy by Apple. All of the people who are sitting on the fence of buying a Mac for whatever reason (they look cool seems to be a really popular... and a really bad reason) but don't want to give up windows now don't really have an excuse. Especially once the affordable Intel iBooks (or whatever the rename them to, MacBook maybe?) come out, cause the MacBook Pro is too expensive and well, overkill for 90% of computer users.
    Tim

I want to know when I will be able to run Logic Audio on my PC.
    Jim

P4, 3.4 ghz, XP Pro SP2, 2 gig ram

Go Back to forum