• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cello Sonata

Share/Bookmark

Cello Sonata

Thanks to Jonathan for hosting this on his website.

http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/q...elloSonata.mp3

Sonata for Cello and Piano, in one continuous movement, as a theme and set of variations to replace the traditional sections and movements of a sonata form. The actual theme is heard in its entirety as the penultimate Adagio variation, and the finale variation is a sort of recap of the sonata, and itself an extended variation on the very first section.

Happily, this piece will be part of a new CD of cello music being recorded this summer.

Re: Cello Sonata

Once again, I find myself unreservedly saying...

BRAVO!

Excellent writing, an ingenious and emminently successful execution of form -- and a wonderful composition!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Once again, I find myself unreservedly saying...

BRAVO!

Excellent writing, an ingenious and emminently successful execution of form -- and a wonderful composition!

With admiration,

thank-you

this was actually a LOT of fun to write. and a challenge. I personally find variation form to be the most difficult form to broach. I find that I have a natural tendency to abhore repetition of any sort (a sad, unhealed scar, left-over from my days as a student of rabid avant-garde teachers), and find that I tend to get a sort of mental block when dealing with anything slightly repetitive!

Absolutely wonderful. I'm certainly pleased that you started posting your work here. As a matter of fact, this is becoming a particularly rich time for me, as far as people posting music that really grabs my interest. This one sounds like a great candidate for a re-do when the Giorgio cello hits the market. Better yet, I'd love to hear this with live players - it certainly deserves a performance. Great work; big "wow."

Tom

P.S. I wanted to add a postscript to this: The highest compliment I can pay is that I REALLY hated to see this piece end. Fortunately, I can listen again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Absolutely wonderful. I'm certainly pleased that you started posting your work here. As a matter of fact, this is becoming a particularly rich time for me, as far as people posting music that really grabs my interest. This one sounds like a great candidate for a re-do when the Giorgio cello hits the market. Better yet, I'd love to hear this with live players - it certainly deserves a performance. Great work; big "wow."

Tom
    this Giorgio cello... will it be Finale compatible? I never work from a sequencer, all my recordings are done only from within Finale 2006.

as for a real performance, hopefully, by late summer the CD containing this sonata (played by a real live person.. well, 2 real live persons) wll be released.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    this Giorgio cello... will it be Finale compatible?
    Good question. Not sure. The controller arrangement will be almost identical to the Strad, which is quite different from GPO. As always, the best results will be gotten within a sequencing environment but that doesn't preclude the possibility that many of the Strad-like features will be addressable within Finale. I can't recall if I've heard any attempts to use the Strad within Finale. If anyone has done that successfully then the same would apply to the upcoming cello.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    Thanks to Jonathan for hosting this on his website.
    It is certainly my pleasure to do so...

THIS was the first piece of Michel's that I ever heard (as a GM MIDI file, no less!) and it convinced me I had found a veritable compositional GENIUS!

I can only add my hearty BRAVO to those others already stated... this is MARVELOUS music!

SUPERB.!!!

Very imaginitive application of the variation technique.

I particularly enjoyed the rather thrilling Piano writing. A true partner in this Sonata.

I also applaud (loudly) the use of repetition. Too often in more modern works, the composer asks us to follow his musical argument, gasp at his ingenious reworking of the original material, only to lose us utterly, because we didn't get the chance to absorb the initial exposition of his ideas.

Like Tom, I hope we get to hear a live performance one day.

Congratulations on another excellent achievement.

regards Joe

Smile Re: Cello Sonata

Oh! Thank you so much for sharing your composition!

As said in other posts, I so enjoy this style of composition. From the first to the last note, I thoroughly enjoyed the listen!!! I hold deep respect to your compositional skills.

In reading a previous post by you on this thread, I understand that you used Finale 2006 to "sequence" this piece (please correct me if I'm wrong). From a notation/sequencing point of view, great job on making this piece "sing"! Obviously a lot of hard work and care went into rendering this piece.

Please keep us informed to when your CD will be available for purchase. I wish to purchase one. I would most certainly enjoy listening to this piece (and the rest of your album) performed live!! Maybe someday??

Again. . . thank you. BRAVO!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke
    Oh! Thank you so much for sharing your composition!

As said in other posts, I so enjoy this style of composition. From the first to the last note, I thoroughly enjoyed the listen!!! I hold deep respect to your compositional skills.

In reading a previous post by you on this thread, I understand that you used Finale 2006 to "sequence" this piece (please correct me if I'm wrong). From a notation/sequencing point of view, great job on making this piece "sing"! Obviously a lot of hard work and care went into rendering this piece.

Please keep us informed to when your CD will be available for purchase. I wish to purchase one. I would most certainly enjoy listening to this piece (and the rest of your album) performed live!! Maybe someday??

Again. . . thank you. BRAVO!

Ted
    first of all, thank-you to all of you for your kind words. I've spent my entire life striving to be the best musician, the best composer that I can be. I've struggled with the various ethical/stylistic arguments, the tug-of-war between tradition and avant-gardism. I've also had some terrible experiences under the tutelage of those very avant-garde professors.

I've also had the tremendous good fortune to study under the man I consider to be the greatest teacher in Canada at this time - Alan Belkin (whose guides to orchestration I believe are available on the Garritan website).

As far as my use of Finale to sequence the Sonata (as well as the Symphony and wind quintet which are posted elsewhere on this forum), I simply wrote the score as though I were preparing a score for performance by live musicians. I then adjusted a few of the expressions which a musician would understand but which were maybe a tad esoteric for Finale and it's wonderful HumanPlayback function (merci Robert P.). For example, I replaced any markings like "piu animando" or "molto rubato" with slightly more detailed tempo expressions. Other than that, I did absolutely no "tweaking" of the MIDI information. What you are hearing is Finale performing in its entirety. No modification of note lengths, nor velocity. nothing that is not simply indicated via Finale 2006 through normal notational means - slurs, expressions, articulations, hairpins, etc.

The only place where I moved away from the performing score to create a performing FInale file was with the symphony. In the case of that larger work I also created a "playback" score, where I used separate channels for each instrument (piccolo, each flute, oboe, english horn, both clarinets, etc...) to create a greater sense of individuality of the instrumentalists. I also did a bit more adjusting of dynamics - where there might be a p or mp in the published score, I may have used a mf or a f to bring out some lines. I also added a few more hairpins to create expressiveness in some of the solo lines.

As I've said before on the Finale website, when notated with care, a Finale score can be extremely expressive.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast