• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT:Best Studio Chair recommendation?

Share/Bookmark

OT:Best Studio Chair recommendation?

He there,

Didn't think I would ever be really concerned about this but with increasing time spent in the studio I am thinking I need to 'upgrade' my chair (lower back issues and just comfort sitting for such long periods of time).

My challenge is with my existing set up - I have my controller sitting on an Omnirax station which puts the 'keys' a tad bit high.

I either need a chair that can raise higher than normal (about 4" or so) or I'll have to do the same thing as I have done currently (retro fit a intermediate 4" x4" wood block - painted black between the chair base and actual chair seat.)

Sure would appreciate some recommendations here. Many thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT:Best Studio Chair recommendation?

I just got a drafting chair off of ebay I could find many in the stores where I live. I also have a omnirax and it sits up hi and has arm. It is actually perfect for me Jeff

The drafting chair is a good idea. Thanks guys.

-- space is always an issue (specially when I have multiple people in here - has anyone gone WITHOUT the arms (been OK - long term)?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

You could always make like Walter Much and work while standing.

http://www.filmsound.org/murch/waltermurch.htm

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    You could always make like Walter Much and work while standing.

http://www.filmsound.org/murch/waltermurch.htm

-JF
    God no; I had enough of that when working as a conductor for all those years :>(

D

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Ironically, I'm actually considering standing...for a change if nothing else.

Other than that, Aeron. There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who love Aerons, and those who don't have them.

The chair forces you to use good posture. Because the seat and back are separately articulated, when you lean, the separate parts of the chair lean with you, pivoted over the chair's center of balance.

So, among other things, your interest de amor can ride you like a naughty little pony in your Aeron, and you won't fall over.

The hot tip to note is that Aerons come in three sizes, and you want to get the one that fits you best. I have the medium one, and I'm just under 6'-2", so it's good to actually sit in them. I would have assumed the large, and I actually have a lot of room in this medium. The better it fits your body, the more fluidly it moves with you, as they're designed to pivot where your body "pivots."

I have the original back-pad model. There is a new, even more high-tech back support system now. I'm happy with the original, but have never sat in the new one. It takes a while to get that part right, but once you've found the sweet spot, you forget it's there.

There are three degrees of limitation in the amount one can lean back. The least of which lets you move fully, the most of which constrains you bolt upright (more comfortably that you'd imagine, actually great for typing and playing). The up/down travel is more than average, and the chair itself is really smooth.

Construction is stout, as in substantial. It's heavy.

Because of the way the chair suspends you over its center of gravity at all positions, one of the early notorious uses of it was for "chair hockey" in big offices where bored people are apparently allowed to play such games on the company dime. Because you're always in a state of balance, you can slam around in it as hard as you like.

I prefer the pony thing.

PS...Lee, you're right about the fabric. It's one of the nicest things about the chair. Very comfortable in either warm or cool weather. I've had mine for years and it still looks brand new, too.

Personally, I think that the Aeron is awful. It's way too austere... like sitting on a $4,000 ergonomically countoured park bench...

*THIS* is the chair that makes me happy... for hours and hours and hours...

The HAG (little circle over the "A") Capisco:

http://www.hag.no/hag_us.nsf/pages/hag_capisco

Fully adjustable, to help you maintain good posture. Plus, you can sit on it four different ways, by rotating the seat 90 degrees before sitting down. The backrest becomes an elbow- or shoulder-rest, allowing you to refresh your body by switching positions every few hours...

The minimal backing allows you to make your way, even with cables dangling or a guitar strapped around your neck...

how much was the Hag Capisco ? if you don't mind me asking

From time to time, I'll switch from a sitting setup to a standing setup. After awhile, one setup will get tiring on me and so I'll switch. I have an executive chair for sitting setup and a drafting chair for the standing setup. Having the option to do both is nice.

I was actually day dreaming the other day about coming up with a lazyboy setup with everything on movable arm mounts

Quote Originally Posted by fitch
    how much was the Hag Capisco ? if you don't mind me asking
    About $600. I see a lot of online shops selling it for about the same...

Obviously, the only way to tell which chair will work the best FOR YOU is to plant yourself in a bunch of them -- each time imagining how you will feel, in that same chair, ten hours later -- before buying any one of them.

Go Back to forum