• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT conjecture: XV-5050 softsynth replacement

Share/Bookmark

OT conjecture: XV-5050 softsynth replacement

I was just thinking about Bandstand vs the XV5050 and came to the conclusion that NI was swimming up the wrong creek. That is, what's really needed for GM is a softsynth structured like an XV and user extensible. That is:

16 channels
    Global reverb
    Global chorus
    At least one insert effect (VST) per channel
    Basic GM/GM2/GS/XG soundset (GM2 etc. could be add-on packages)
    Disk streaming
    Preloading of all sounds & effects so they can be instantly selected
    Multiple instances
    VST & standalone
    User extensible

Most important is extensible by the user, i.e., able to import other formats and assign bank/program changes to them. It would also be great if "patches" could include effects (like leslie & distortion) or if the insert effect could be selected via midi.

The idea is to provide a basic GM softmodule structure with sounds that the user could modify and add to as needed.

I probably should do some more homework but instead I'll just ask, is there currently anything that comes close to this?

Ernie

Re: OT conjecture: XV-5050 softsynth replacement

I think you're probably asking for a bit too much from a piece of software.
    (Preloading of all sounds & effects so they can be instantly selected.)

If you can get past the instant-consept, and just want a great GM software synth, I would check out Colossus from EastWest. I don't own it myself, but it may be what you're looking for. Their products always sound VERY good!

Quote Originally Posted by Malo
    IMO that's because most of the romplers today are practically oversized.

There doesn't seem to be a way to quickly and adequately replace years upon years of efficient sound design at Roland/Yamaha/Korg etc...

perhaps instead the energy should be focused on getting these companies to pull the trigger and create compelling virtual instruments. Korg already has a great start. Roland has does some SoundCanvas stuff, hopefully JV/XV is on it's way. Maybe Steinberg can make a case for Yamaha.
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Malo
    From what I can tell via current product scenerio's it should be achievable. I'm not expecting 32 layers with every note sampled for every sound. There may be a gigabyte piano but most of the sounds should match the typical Akai sample disk. It's basically a memory handling rather than a performance issue so it should be doable. I wouldn't have a problem with a new spec - maximum number of waveforms - being added, perhaps with a "remaining waveforms" display. That's the resource that matters in a streaming environment.

I see extensive effects, as in more than one insert effect per channel, as a bigger problem. If the insert effects were done as VST's then the user would have the option of dropping down to less CPU intensive ones. The only reason for them is to enable dynamic sounds that can't be properly sampled, like leslie and distortion. Control would be via patch or midi events.

Ernie

Isn't what you're asking for covered to various degrees by VSTi's such as Ravity, Hypersonic, Dimension Pro, Sampletank - or Colossus and the upcoming Muse on the highend.
    Okay so none of them may have the EXACT specs you're asking for...but there is a pretty wide selection available from small and efficient to huge and...powerful .
    You should be able to find something workable from within that bunch, one would expect.

matto

Go Back to forum