• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDIoverLAN

Share/Bookmark

MIDIoverLAN

It's just a matter of information.
    I installed a demo version of musicLABs MIDIoverLAN CP driver in order to check how it works together with Overture 4 & GigaSTudio 3.12 stand allone application.

The installation program installed 16 MIDI ports which can be accessed as local pipes or as NetPorts.
    The installation of the net ports is very easy.
    All ports are accessable in Overture 4 with the TRACKs window.

I used Overture on my Laptop & connected it via LAN with my Sound workstation on which GS 3.12 was running.
    No problems at all. Worked great together & it makes sense using hudge orchestras scores because now I may use a lot mor of voices in the samplers.

Now I have to decide what I should use in future. I think musicLABs MIDIoverLAN is an easier solution than FXTeleport.

What do you think?
    What is your expierience?

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Re: MIDIoverLAN

I think musicLABs MIDIoverLAN is an easier solution than FXTeleport.
    I have that impression too and the same dilemma. It seems like it's not a good time to invest in MOL cause with the arrival of FX-T it could be obsolete next year, if not already.

You will also need GIGA VST adapter or GIGA teleport to use it with GS3, that's where it gets a little complicate for me. But with the arrival of GVI(giga vst instrument) things should be easier, i think. more user friendly i guess.

But here is my question, when you load your song in your sequencer does it load all your VST, or you have to load the VST manually on the other PC. I'm talking VST here not GIGA. Cause if i could load all my performance(from all PCs) in my sequencer, that would make FX-T a no brainer with the arrival of GVI of cors.But it's just not that attractive to me if i still have to load my performance.

Question: Does the VSL perf tool work with GIGA Teleport?...

Here is an other question: will we still be able to use the VSL perf. tool with GVI?

Personally i think I'll wait and see what happens and go with MOL for now. I like to keep things simple anyway.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    But here is my question, when you load your song in your sequencer does it load all your VST, or you have to load the VST manually on the other PC. I'm talking VST here not GIGA. Cause if i could load all my performance(from all PCs) in my sequencer, that would make FX-T a no brainer with the arrival of GVI of cors.But it's just not that attractive to me if i still have to load my performance.

Question: Does the VSL perf tool work with GIGA Teleport?...

Here is an other question: will we still be able to use the VSL perf. tool with GVI?

Personally i think I'll wait and see what happens and go with MOL for now. I like to keep things simple anyway.

Thanks.
    i) I used MOL together with K2 in a forte Rack. I have to each composition an own projectfile for forte, and if there are changes of the instruments (eg. articulations) I use program change & bank change commands of the sequencer (in my case Overture 4 or sometimes SONAR 4 PE). It works perfect with MOL.

ii) I use VSL but not the performance tool. It is much easier for me to handle VSL directly by Overture 4, because this notation program has nearly all articulations included in the expressions an so on.
    I switch now to Vienna Instrument & have ordered Strings I & II, so I will not have the need to use PT in future.
    And I do not have really expierience with the PT. It is to complicated for me.

Regarding FX-T I aggree with you.
    I'll test MOL the next two weeks & than I'll buy it.
    I think the standard version (it prepares 16 ports!) is big enough for me.

the man with the blue guitar

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    I'll test MOL the next two weeks & than I'll buy it.
    I think the standard version (it prepares 16 ports!) is big enough for me.

Let me know how it turns out for you, i'm testing it myself.

Thanks!

I've been using MOL for over a year.
    It's very good for me.

I'm in the same situation and am leaning to MIDIoverLAN. I already have a great system for bringing the audio back to my DAW so FX-teleport doesn't seem to be in my future just yet. Plus I have read many posts here and elsewhere that state that MIDIoverLAN works flawlessly and that' s what I'm after...

I've installed MOL(demo) on 2 XP SP1 machime but can not access the configuration panel after the instalation, only during the instalation. Do you think i could make it work anyway? Cause i guess i could unistall/install until i've configured it but it's not ideal....Any body had that problem but use it anyway?

I've also install it on SP2 and have access to conf. panel so it's a XP SP1 bug. I've also check musiclab's forum but found nothing.

Any of you guys use it with the VSL performance tool? That i would really like to know?

Thanks!

Go Back to forum