• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tutorial for DP4.61

Share/Bookmark

Tutorial for DP4.61

It would be wonderful if someone could post an updated tutorial for DP4.61. The posted one does not function with the current version on Digital Performer. My bigest problem is using VI :-(

Re: Tutorial for DP4.61

Hi EJ,
    I would recommend sitting down with the 4.6 manual and read about the Virtual Instrument rack that 4.61 has. I don't use any VI's in DP because I want the entire Mac to be dedicated to DP. I use a separate PC to host all sounds.

I wish I could help you, but I can't. DP 5 is due out anytime now.

Dan

I regret to say I have done this and I'm still in a fog.

Part of the problem is ,is that I've recently switched over from the PC,so its a double whammy :-(

ah, I see. Back around November of 2003 I purchased a Mac so I could use DP. I too not only had to learn DP but also had to learn the Mac at the same time. Before that, I had only used a computer a few years for email and internet use, it was a PC that I learned on. After getting a Mac, I did understand what everyone had always said about Macs being so user friendly. It's the truth, but now, I believe Windows machines are also very reliable, it is totally dependant on how well each system is setup.

The DP manual can be intimidating with it's 997 pages, but it's glossary is phenominal, and finding exactly what you need is just great.

Send me a PM if you get stumped EJ, maybe I can help.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    It would be wonderful if someone could post an updated tutorial for DP4.61. The posted one does not function with the current version on Digital Performer. My bigest problem is using VI :-(
    I hope this might help.
    Here are a few basics:

This will assume that you know a few basics about DP, such as creating a new file, creating new midi tracks, and how to record midi data. If you have already figured out some other aspects, such as how to create audio tracks, or at least how to select audio outputs, that will be helpful also.

To create a new GPO instrument (sometimes called "to instantiate" , or referred to also as "one instance"): go to the project heading along the top edge of DP's menus. Click on it and mouse over "Add Track", a menu should pop out from there, mouse over "Instrument Track", yet another menu should pop out, scroll down to Garritan Personal Orchestra (stereo), and click on it.

What should happen next is that DP will attempt to load this instance of GPO. But if you do not have an audio output available in non-italics (in the output column of the tracks window), you will not see the GPO player yet. You will just see a small window title bar that may show "Garrita...hestra-1 or something like that. BUT, you should also see in the "track name" column of the tracks window a new track called "Garritan Personal Orchestra - 1". If you look at it's output column and then click on the output column, you should see a list of available audio outputs. It's very important that you select a valid audio output, otherwise you will not see any GPO player. If you have an available, valid audio output, then click on it. It should now show up as the selected output for GPO and should NOT be in italics. (If it is still in italics, go to the "Hardware..." button in the little "Audio" window next to the main transport window. Click on it, and you should see all available outputs in the "Configure Hardware Driver" window that comes up.)

If you don't see the GPO player that you created, go to the "Windows" menu at the top edge of the screen, click on it and select the window with your Garritan Personal Orchestra player.

From here (the GPO player) you can select and load instruments into as many of the eight slots as you need. GPO will automatically assign them to midi channels 1-8 respectively from left to right across the player.

To access these instruments go back to the tracks window. In the output column of each midi track, click and then select the appropriate midi sub-channel of your "Garritan Personal Orchestra-1". (Even though it will show channels 9-16 in the pop-out menu, those are not available unless you specifically change the midi output of a particular instrument in the GPO player.)

Hopefully this will answer some of your basic questions. I have some screenshots, but I cannot post them with this reply. You could PM me and I could then email them to you.

Take care,
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA
    Apple 15" Powerbook, OS 10.4.5, DP4.61, GPO

I've printed out your help suggestions... It will be helpful. My "e" is ejmacey@hotmail.com

How does bundleing enter into the picture?

I finnaly was able to play back something I had written, But sob.. I don't know how I did it....

Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    Actually, if you follow my tutorial, even though it was designed in DP 4.12, it works perfectly in DP 4.61. I just tried it to be sure. Maybe you had some configuration issue with your audio/MIDI hardware? Also make sure you understand how Mod Wheel (CC#1) is used with GPO.

I'll try to update my tutorial at some point. I also have DP5 on the way, but I don't anticipate that working with VIs will be that different. The only major difference introduced with 4.61 is that you can load GPO into a V-Rack so that a single instance can be used in multiple Chunks (songs or cues).

Brian

My apologies to Brian for not double-checking his tutorial first. It is right on for use with DP 4.61.
    Don't be afraid to keep asking questions for clarification, though, EJ.

Take care,
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

Thanks to all for your help. The major problem was Bundleing. When I elected to have steroe bundleing I was able to acess GPO and record and playback. I'm still at the beginners stage, so I expect to be back begging, but I'm pleased that something positive has happened :-)

Go Back to forum