• Register
  • Help

Topic: This looks like it would be fun. . .

Share/Bookmark

This looks like it would be fun. . .

Richard Galbraith

Re: This looks like it would be fun. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RichG
    well, let's see...

Quote Originally Posted by programnotes
    An 85-piece orchestra with a 100-voice chorus will celebrate one of the greatest “place-based” symphonic compositions ever created.
    lack of modesty?

R. Murray Schaffer's various outdoor performance-pieces probably hold the laurels here... operas, oratorios, cantatas, "events"...

you gotta love the guys who write those advertising blurbs.

lack of modesty?
    Perhaps, but it's probably the greatest tallgrass prairie based symphonic performance of the season, and perhaps the only classical performance of the year where patrons are reminded to leave the rattlesnakes alone. If it wasn't so far I'd go.

I didn't know the flint hills had a preserve like that. I go through there now and then. Someday I'll spend a few days in the preserve, with or without an orchestra present.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blankenau
    Perhaps, but it's probably the greatest tallgrass prairie based symphonic performance of the season,
    probably the ONLY one... LOL

and how do you know... maybe the concert master has a cue in his part where he has to bite the head off a rattle snake and spit it into the bell of the tuba? (already quite a feat... considering the placement of first violin and tuba)

Baton Stock. Tickets on sale at Ticketron.
    Styxx

They may have to fight it out with Oklahoma though, which also lays claim to the largest protected tall grass prairie.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...allgrass.html#

Either way, leave the snakes alone. Without them the prairie will die as the uncontrolled burrowing rodent population will explode, and their pillaging of the seed, and the coating of the land with unfurtile dirt thrown up from their burrows will kill off the native grasses.

The things you can learn at NS. Since the preserves are fairly close, I could visit both. Considering their sizes, I should allow at least 2 weeks for the visit. Considering my current financial situation, I'll have to wait. Since I have a gazillion acres of shortgrass prairie available 90 miles from here, I can't whine too much.

Our prairie blooms in early summer. Once I was there at the right time after a wet spring, and was rewarding with the most amazing display of flowers I've ever seen. Does the tallgrass do the same?

It does sound like fun.

I have read that the midwest was much more timbered at one time but the american indian torched them to create more grassland for the buffalo. So the vast prairies teaming with buffalo were a fairly recent environment and not naturally produced if this is true.

Grasslands are one of the more recently invented landscapes, but they are older than we are. The rain shadow of the Rockies makes it awfully dry for trees (except along watercourses) west of about 100 degrees west. Once grasses took over, natural fires kept the trees down even further. East of the Great Plains were areas of grassland that are now forest, but in at least some cases natural fires maintained the status quo.

Go Back to forum