• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: What would your ideal sequencer be able to do?

Share/Bookmark

What would your ideal sequencer be able to do?

I've spent many hours writing of the inadequacies of currently available sequencer software, often frustrated at the limitations.
    So, as a proactive discussion, instead of a negative one, i thought i'd ask you, my colleagues, your preferences and wishes for an ideal sequencer software package.

Here's a few of mine to get things going, and for the sake of identity, i've labelled this package "Hermitage." (It's my wry and ironic sense of humour)

So, some of my requirements in 'Hermitage'. (Mark 1)

1. Great notation component, including full midi program change interaction and playback/record response. E.g. 3 first violin tracks in the arrange window automatically condensed into a single stave in score. (User optional non condensed included as well)

2. Integrated Sequencer and operating system. Start with a blank computer, insert disc, and install one package built from the ground up specific to Audio/Video.

3. Scan feature that determines how much RAM is available, and allocates this resource up to 95% of capacity.

4. Full multiprocessor capability built in. Able to distribute resources across multiple CPU's, and constantly monitor and adjust the usage to optimise performance.

5. VST/RTAS/AU compatability. Able to take advantage of the best of plugins in each format, with no issues if mixed in one arrangement.

6. Full sample library integration, with a selection of format specific samplers capable of playing SF2, GS3 (and later), EXS, etc. (want to play GIGA files? Use the inbuilt Giga sampler. EXS? Use the inbuilt EXS sampler, etc.) The samplers should also be capable of being used as standalones, within the Hermitage framework. Able to play library specific VI's, (in cooperation with developers), e.g., VSL's VI, Garritan VI, BelaD VI.

7. Multi computer performance. Hermitage as a 'one to many' sequencer, with all resource able to be operated from a 'master.' e.g. Hermitage master, with Hermitage slave 1, Hermitage Slave 2, and full integration, with the Hermitage slave component operated within a single arrange page. (Slave one tracks in blue, slave 2 tracks in green, etc). Total package to allow Hermitage master, with up to 5 Hermitage slaves, but an option to add extra slaves for a minimal fee, operating from a single license/CP.

8. Standardisation of articulations in 'orchestral GM format'. e.g. no. 10 is violin 1 legato, no. 11 is violin 1 sustain, etc., with additional increments available within the same number (no.11 sustain is used for 0.3 sec, 0.5 sec, etc)

9. Optional integrated effects plugins, but seamless frontend mixer in any event, including full convolution and capability to use IR's from several developers. (you buy altiverb in Hermitage format. The program recognises it, and integrates with specific 'generic' floating interface. (Leningrad?)

10. Fully integrated MIDI/AUDIO sytem with multiple audio engines built in.

11. Integrated Ethernet link built in, replacing packages like MOL, etc.

12. In cooperation with hardware manufacters, specific hardware Hermitage controller system, with multiple choices for pads, buttons, levers, sliders, knobs, etc, that marry completely with constant CC mapping. All this with MIDI 3, a vastly expanded MIDI format severaltimes more expansive than current. (2048 GM patch allocations within a bank, 256 native MIDI channels, etc.)

13. 16/24/48/96 sampleBIT playability with mixed sample rate playback.

14. Port allocation is user operated (automatic or manual.) Save mode for settings.

15. Not only 64 Bit processing, but 128 Bit capable too.

16. From Chris Hein.... I wish to have a better handling of keyswitches.
    Maybe something that works like this:
    Record a melody line,
    right-click on a note in any editor opens a pop-up menu with the available keyswitches for that instrument
    (This list must be defined earlier like synth presets)
    Choosing one of the keyswitches inserts the corresponing note-on event automatically shortly before the note.
    That would be great.

17. From Christian Marcussen......Speed - Choose a VST, and pop - there it is. I dont like waiting for things to load.

18. From Aaron Dirk........I would like to record midi performance in real time, then be able to point and click where the measures(or beats) are and have the tempo automatically scaled to fit the real time tempo. Seems like this would also make a performance to notation alot nicer too.

19. From Auracore....PS: How about rock solid stability?

Just some ideas to go on with.

What's your requirements for 'Hermitage' , the Sequencer/OS we'd all like to have?

Regards,

Alex.

p.s. Developers particularly welcome to contribute!

Re: What would your ideal sequencer be able to do?

Able to distribute resources across multiple CPU's, and constantly monitor and adjust the usage to optimise performance.
    I'd be very happy with this feature alone. I'm on two workstations now (both running 2GB RAM) with Cubase / FX Teleport and still don't have enough resources without freezing tracks . Even if Cubase would run in several processes (i.e. one for the sequencer, one for VSTe and one for VSTi) would already be better than it is right now.

PS: How about rock solid stability?

Quote Originally Posted by AuraCore
    PS: How about rock solid stability?
    Agreed, and i meant to imply this with the custom built operating system specific to Hermitage.

Regards,

Alex.

Just a detail:
    I wish to have a better handling of keyswitches.

Maybee something that works like this:
    Record a melody line,
    right-click on a note in any editor opens a pop-up menu with the available keyswitches for that instrument
    Choosing one of the keyswitches inserts the corresponing note-on event autamaticly shortly before the note.
    That would be great.

Is someone able to program an add-on for any sequenzer?

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Speed - Choose a VST, and pop - there it is. I dont like waiting for things to load.

I would like to record midi performance in real time, then be able to point and click where the measures(or beats) are and have the tempo automatically scaled to fit the real time tempo. Seems like this would also make a performance to notation alot nicer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk
    I would like to record midi performance in real time, then be able to point and click where the measures(or beats) are and have the tempo automatically scaled to fit the real time tempo.
    Not meaning to divert the thread, but "Fit Improvisation" in Sonar does exactly that...

Hermitage sounds like a cool product though!

/Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Just a detail:
    I wish to have a better handling of keyswitches.

Maybee something that works like this:
    Record a melody line,
    Choosing one of the keyswitches inserts the corresponing note-on event autamaticly shortly before the note.
    That would be great.

Is someone able to program an add-on for any sequenzer?

Chris Hein
    Great point Chris.

And thinking about this, could we go one step further, reffering to the point about 'Hermitage specific controllers', and have a Hermitage controller, that, when opening an instrument (VSL Violin e.g.) that a small LED display above each button/slider/ knob showed the articulation loaded?

Example, if we used a controller along the lines of Zendrum (an interesting product), we would see above button 1, Violin Sustain 0.3 sec, above button 2, Violin sustain 0.5 sec, etc? And if Hermitage were configured to specific libraries and their mapping, these configurations could be standard, and appear in the same pattern every time. (With an optional User manual assign mode?)

Again, an example. Load VSL violin. Each articulation, either by generic template, or user defined, put the same artics in the same spot every time?

Hit the 'Menu Button'. Choose Sonic Implant Strings. Button 1, SI sustain, etc.
    And this controller would work either in motion (live input), or step input.

Would this be a more work efficient method?

Alex.

p.s. I'll add this to the originall list, so we have one point to go to.

Compose while I sleep, then wake me up with coffee. Isn't that the goal?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast