• Register
  • Help

Topic: If i buy GVI, do i need GS?

Share/Bookmark

If i buy GVI, do i need GS?

Hello all, and if you can help it would be appreciated.

Having purchased BelaD's fine Giovani library, i'm keen to get working with it. As a non Kontakt user, i went for the GS3 format, with some hope of converting it to EXS.
    I've discovered Logic or CDExtract won't convert GS3 files (only 2.5) so i'm considering option 2.
    If i consider a purchase of GVI, will i need to purchase GS as well? I understand GVI is a plugin, but can it be run standalone?
    I'm not, or ever have been, a GIGA user, so if i can keep it down to one steep learning curve it will minimise downtime.
    Alternatively, if someone could point me in the direction of a good GS3 to EXS conversion, outside of the above options (including Chickensys translator), i'd appreciate the info. (Is there a non Tascam sampler that will play GS3 files?)

Regards,

Alex.

Re: If i buy GVI, do i need GS?

No, as far as I have heard, it is an VST instrument,

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

No, you don't need GS, it's a VST based sampler just like the other guys. I don't know if it will be able to run as stand-alone or only as a plugin though.

/Mattias

Here is a little trick that might help save a few buck: owners of GS3 ensemble can upgrade to GVi for $100 and GS3 ensemble is now only $129 so, if I'm right you could end up with both application VST and stand alone + 2 licences, while saving like $170, GVI selling for $400. ''if''I'm right. Check it out.

Not sure if the prices are valid in Russia though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Henningson
    No, you don't need GS, it's a VST based sampler just like the other guys. I don't know if it will be able to run as stand-alone or only as a plugin though.

/Mattias

It surely will be run under a VST Host like MiniHost or Forte ensemble or whatever.

I heard that it is going to be a Plug-in as well as stand-a-lone. The PC version is first (Early May) then Mac Universal (End of Year). It seems that you can play GS files as well as imbedded GigaPulse files too. The only software app. I know of that will convert Giga 2.5 and below is Translator by Chicken Sys. I do not know of any software app that converts GS3 files yet. I would actually like to see a software app that converts Kontakt files to Giga, get the best of both worlds.

Does anyone know what sound content (if any) is included with GVI?

Also, the GVI description states that it can play embedded GigaPulse patches; does anyone know how to embed the GigaPulse into a GIG file?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    ...does anyone know how to embed the GigaPulse into a GIG file?
    I've never done it, but I think it goes a little bit like this...

Using GS3 Orchestra, setup a GigaPulse/DSP effect. Save it as a GSI. Stack the GigaPulse instrument with a normal Gig instrument. Save the stack as another GSI. Load the second GSI into GVI and you get the instrument with the effect.

Again, I haven't done it, so no guarantees. And don't ask me for details, but it's a starting place.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by jfivester
    I heard that it is going to be a Plug-in as well as stand-a-lone. The PC version is first (Early May) then Mac Universal (End of Year). It seems that you can play GS files as well as imbedded GigaPulse files too. The only software app. I know of that will convert Giga 2.5 and below is Translator by Chicken Sys. I do not know of any software app that converts GS3 files yet. I would actually like to see a software app that converts Kontakt files to Giga, get the best of both worlds.
    You should try

http://www.extranslator.com/contact.html

and let me know, how it works for you.

Anyone heard what libraries will come with the GVI version? Will it come with the same libs as Orchestra?

Go Back to forum