• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Defrag, what do you use?

Share/Bookmark

Defrag, what do you use?

I would like to know what you guys use to defrag and how often do you do it? I once read that the defrag in windows doesn't do a true reorganization of the fill or something and that the more often you defrag - the better your performance. Is that true?

I'm on win XP here.

Re: Defrag, what do you use?

Best defrag happens when you copy to a second drive and then back again to the original drive. That is what I do and I have read that is the most effective method.

Santo

Quote Originally Posted by santo
    Best defrag happens when you copy to a second drive and then back again to the original drive. That is what I do and I have read that is the most effective method.

Santo
    First time i hear this, but it make a lot of sence.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by santo
    Best defrag happens when you copy to a second drive and then back again to the original drive.

this is BS. There is no guaranty that Windows will NOT place that file in fragments back. Note: All memory disk lacks will be used... if you want or not. So it is better to use the Win defrag tool instead of other tools - once one tool writes some bullsh you are not able to fix your files and all is gone!

O&O Defrag, best there is. Do it once a week and no complaints at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNovy
    this is BS.
    Sorry, but it makes perfect sense. Fragmentation is cause by deleting files. As long as you format the first drive and copy the second on it, Windows will place the files in the optimal position in order of the copy.

It is the deleting of files that creates holes. Not copying them. I have yet to meet a defrag program that worked to my satisfaction and didn't risk complete corruption of the data.

I use Diskeeper on my system that has GS3.

I've also been using Ashampoos defragger. It always runs in the background and will defrag the drive when you are not using the system.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    I use Diskeeper on my system that has GS3.

I've also been using Ashampoos defragger. It always runs in the background and will defrag the drive when you are not using the system.
    O&O Defrag also runs in background and is awesome!

I've tried 'em all.. Windows defrag is crap. DiskKeeper isn't that great either (keep in mind, the Win defragger is based on DiskKeeper's code).

For me, PerfectDisk actually defrags and makes a noticeable difference. Raxco makes it. And it's cheap, too! Awesome product.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jaspo
    Sorry, but it makes perfect sense. Fragmentation is cause by deleting files. As long as you format the first drive and copy the second on it, Windows will place the files in the optimal position in order of the copy.

It is the deleting of files that creates holes. Not copying them. I have yet to meet a defrag program that worked to my satisfaction and didn't risk complete corruption of the data.
    I've copied files from one disk to another and found them to be fragmented. Maybe you have the right settings and process to get it to work properly, but I know that I've seen otherwise.

And, yes, I found it counterintuitive. I would have expected Windows to write the files linearly. I have no idea why it didn't for me.

-JF

Go Back to forum