• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI control of unlinking, and linking of ports

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb MIDI control of unlinking, and linking of ports

Anyone know if you link, or unlink ports w/ MIDI?

Re: MIDI control of unlinking, and linking of ports

Quote Originally Posted by james vogts
    Anyone know if you link, or unlink ports w/ MIDI?
    I can't say that it can't be done, but I've never seen it.

I think the better way to go is to build a bunch of stacks, with the combos that you want. Then there are two ways to select them: 1) call them up with program changes, or, 2) load them in their own channels, and point your keyboard to this port/channel or that.

The first solution is best if you have a ton of setups and only a few ports/channels available. The second is best from a KISS standpoint: not having to do program changes is instantly quick and leaves GS to just play samples with no other fancy stuff going on.

But the real problem with linked ports is that the same MIDI goes to all linked channels - you can't even balance the volume from one sound to the other.

All the best...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

But the real problem with linked ports is that the same MIDI goes to all linked channels - you can't even balance the volume from one sound to the other.
    -JF
    O no, you can assign the instruments in the linked channels to different inputs & than adjust the volume on the input.

e.g. Port I, Channel 1 ---> input 1 --> violin I
    Port II, Channel 1 ---> input 2 --Y violin II

u.s.w.

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Lightbulb Re: MIDI control of unlinking, and linking of ports

I'm currently experimenting w/ what Jovan said, and other tricks that only the KS-88 can pull off. This is complex, but I have emailed the tech guys at Tascam about this and hope it is possible. Linking and unlinking ports will allow me to add additional layers, and combinations. When I play live I tweak my Lexicon, Line 6 Echo Pro w/reverse looping,SE1-X Analog, and the Solaris 4.0 synthesizer. So you see I have my hands full, this just adds more complexity to an already complex, but awesome set-up. I just purchased my second KS-88 to retire my extremely heavy MC3000. Recently got rid of the Oberheim Matrix 12 w/ XPander, they have served me well over the years touring, but I have not the luxury of a road crew anymore, plus the KS-88's are extremely versatile with Global MIDI channel, plus 16 MIDI channels. Then add the knobs,sliders and toggle switches. There are even sequencer transport controls that I am also trying to use w/ Alesis HD24, and Roland MC500MkII. By the next time I take a gig on the road circuit again next year, maybe I'll have everything up and running the way I envisioned.

To Us, And Those Of Us Like Us,

Jimmy V.

Quote Originally Posted by jovan
    O no, you can assign the instruments in the linked channels to different inputs & than adjust the volume on the input.

e.g. Port I, Channel 1 ---> input 1 --> violin I
    Port II, Channel 1 ---> input 2 --Y violin II
    Good point! Yes. That would work.

But anything at the channel-level is linked. For instance, if you adjust the attack, or LFO frequency, all linked ports get the same setting. That might be ideal in some cases, and not what you want in others.

Good tip jovan!

-JF

Most of the time I work with GS3 together with a notation program (Overture 4).
    In many scores the basses do have the same melody like the celli. In this case I link two ports in GS3 and send the midi channels to different input channels.
    In VSL the cellis uses different keyswitches as the basses (eg. staccato celli C1, basses C6).
    In this case I remap the keys of the basses in the channel properties, source key C1 ---> destination key C6.
    And I can also save this settings as template for future use.

What also can improve the power of a piece is to double the instrumentation using different ports and using other settings of the channels on the second port (pan, filters, EQ, inserts)

:-) Jovan
    the man with the blue guitar

Angry Re: MIDI control of unlinking, and linking of ports

Well I found out that my Giga DVD was a Beta 3.0, so I downloaded the new 3.12. This app. is starting to piss me off. I now can name my stacked instuments, but the NFX presets won't load up after save, I only like the NFX Autopan, and of course GigaPulse is sweet, but I still like my Lexicon hardware better. Now Blue Tubes won't allow the chorus, and flanger to work, GS3 crashes and freezes alot when I start tweaking it. I think that I am going to just load sounds, and make some nice routings into Scope mixer where I have a stable, and excellant group of effects. I will continue to experiment w/ MIDI 8 x 8 and the ports, for I can see there are so many ways to get the routing that I need. VST FX, and NFX can kiss my arse. I have wasted valuable time trying to get these to work, and the whole time I have better weapons at my disposal. I'm going back to using GS3 like it was GS160 2.54, just love the sounds. Afterall it put my Emulators to shame, that's why I bought it. All these extra bells and whistles might get fixed later in an upgrade, but even if they do, this is a great sampler, so that's what I'm going to use it for. Funny, when I turn off all the bells and whistles, it works w/o a hitch. So from now on, it's GS3 Orch. w/ Scope FX, and external hardware, cause when I'm working live, this kind of trouble can ruin my attitude while performing, and that will not happen again.

To Us,And Those Of Us Like Us,

Jimmy V.

Go Back to forum