• Register
  • Help

Topic: volume and KS question

Share/Bookmark

volume and KS question

for some reason, I cant get the "voulme" to change using controller 7, as described in the GPO tutorial.
    this is with Finale 2006.
    I know that GPO uses modulation for volume, and that works fine (using dynamic expressions that assign velocity changes).
    however, it does say that fine tuning (bringing out a solo, for example) can be achieved by adjusting, on an individual basis, the volume controller which is controller 7, again, as described in the tutorial).

On a very similar topic, HumanPlayback does not seem to recognize the KS's for damping the bass drum and timpani. I've tried every permutation of "dampen" that is listed in the GPO tutorial, with no success.

Am I forgetting something in Finale that needs to be switched on?
    Are these particular functions dependant on a particular setting in the Kontact player?

Re: volume and KS question

QC,

In the kontakt player options, check that "use standard cc#1/cc#7 volume & pan" is selected.

Also check that the sustain pedal option is correct.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

as was said on the Finale forum, yes, that is all as you said... and yet volume-modifying expressions do absolutely nothing to the sound.

QC,

It works over here!

A few things to double check:

1. The expression playback setting definitions are correct - in the Clarinet example posted, one of the "v80" type expressions was set incorrectly.
    2. In HP preferences Continuous Data is set to HP (ignore user data)

I'll come back in a minute and update this post with a link to my Finale and mp3 files... ...and here they are:

F2k6 mus file
    MP3 audio file
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

mystery solved:
    volume controllers are 100% incompatible with HP.
    you had HP set to none. as soon as I set it to any other choice, the volume data disappeared (or rather, became ineffective).

Doh,

I didn't spot that!

You've obviously investigated this a lot yourself, but I'll take another look.
    Richard N.

well, my ultimate goal is to use Finale, and only Finale for my music... I really don't want to be using any second program to get the demo I need. I work only from a score, and don't have time to start learning how to use a sequencer, nor really the inclination to start fiddling with minute performance details for playback in a sequencer. I think Finale, with enough of the right tweaking, will be able to get an excellent final result.

ok, now, the other part of the mystery...
    how do we get HP to recognize the "dampen" expression?
    I've tried all the permutations of this and it will NOT effect a KS change.
    I am using the right samples (both the KS bass drum and KS timpani), and yet nothing happens.
    if I do a manual KS change by clicking on the yellow notes on the Kontact player keyboard, it works fine, however, I just can't get Finale to do the effect itself.

I've just re-read the HP supplement page 67.

It says that you use the mixer volume control as a "set and forget" controller for overall balance.

You can then use hidden expressions to bring out certain passages - but it says "of course this will affect both volume and timbre" so it must be referring to creating hidden markings that HP will recognise and change CC#1 data, not hidden markings to send CC#7 data.
    Richard N.

a-HA!!!!!
    changing the controller to CC#1 works perfectly!

I find it confusing... I read the tutorial repeatedly, and I still came up with using CC#7 to change volume. Is there possibly a bit of confusion in the tutorial? or something that is worded in a confusing manner?

again, now on to the other problem with those pesky percussion KS's. (see my ammended post just above)

Go Back to forum