• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interactive radio.

Share/Bookmark

Interactive radio.

For you chaps on the US west coast, there's an interesting article in an audio scientific magazine here, that i suscribe to, about some of your radio stations. (This a rough translation of the article in question.)

It says KILT radio in Houston, KALI radio in California,and KMPS in Seattle, together with NASA, have developed a crude form of interactive radio. It seems a hitherto unknown secondary sound wave, has less of the characteristic of a wave, and more of a octagonal ripple, as the discoverer, Professor Aprilia Dloof claimed. Consequently, hitherto unknown artifacts, particularly in recording, have plagued us, in octagonal bands beyond our hearing, and she claims, beyond measurement until now.. (As well many of you sound engineers may know, trying to identify that 'something' that often mars an otherwise good recording )
    The really neat part is the interactive bit. Professor Dloof has experimented with speaker reponse to this octagonal phenomena, and discovered that it's possible to talk loudly into your speakers (when connected to these particular radio stations) and with the special equipment she's developed, your voice, or as she puts it, a ghost of your voice may be heard at the other end in the studio in a recordable form using the octagonal artifacts in both our voice and speakers, and that signal will return to the listener as a faint echo.(And she says it's important to have the radio fairly loud and listen carefully) In the interview she suggested people talking loudly into their speakers at intervals during the day (between 9 to 5), a month hence to give a more varied signal and so expand the parameters of the experiment. (Magazine here came out last Saturday, and is three weeks old, so it's today, that is, Saturday!) She was asked in the interview if the type of speaker made a difference, and she said no. It was the OR (octagonal ripple) that was important. Further to that, she suggested varying the volume of shout or loud talk to give better measurements. Finally she said it was important to do this about a foot from the speaker, (L or R didn't matter) and at a level with the cone, to ensure the maximum effect.
    I never knew this type of research was going on, and that Nasa were involved in sound, in such a way. Funny the things you notice, when you're browsing.

Regards,

Alex.

Re: Interactive radio.

Damn, I wish I lived in the US. Things are so slow and outdated here in europe.

Since I'm far from those stations, I yelled REALLY loud until my throat hurt. I haven't heard the echo yet, but maybe the ORs take a while to go that far. If I don't hear anything soon, I'm going to try firecrackers instead of yelling. Should I keep them a foot from the speaker, or should I tape them to the cone?

It's so exciting to live in modern times, when people know so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blankenau
    Since I'm far from those stations, I yelled REALLY loud until my throat hurt. I haven't heard the echo yet, but maybe the ORs take a while to go that far. If I don't hear anything soon, I'm going to try firecrackers instead of yelling. Should I keep them a foot from the speaker, or should I tape them to the cone?

It's so exciting to live in modern times, when people know so much!

Go Back to forum