• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Problems creating .gig files from Doru Malaia DVD .wavs

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Problems creating .gig files from Doru Malaia DVD .wavs

I love the Doru Malaia DVD, but Giga seems to hate it.

I had previously downloaded the 50 freebies available on the DM website, placed them all in a folder, and created a .gig file out of the 50 samples. I added that folder to my QS database. The new .gig file was visible in the Giga "folder tree," from which I could launch and play it.

So far, so good...

CHAPTER I:

So today I copied the Doru Malaia DVD to my sample hard drive (one folder with 230 subfolders, each containing multiple .wav files). I had the brilliant idea of creating .gig files for each of the 230 instruments.

If you were to look at my sample disc folders in Windows Explorer, you would see these two folders next to each other:
    Doru Malaia - 50 Processed Ethnic Percussions (.wav) (.gig)
    Doru Malaia - 230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions (.wav) (.gig)
    If you were to then look at the folder tree in Giga, you would see this:
    Doru Malaia - 230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions (.wav) (.gig˙╥♪↕╟╒≥╫
    It took a small eternity to realize what the problem was...

The subfolders sometimes gave two alternate names for the instruments, e.g.
    BERIMBAU ( BERIMBAO )
    For whatever reason, Giga couldn't handle the spaces inside the parentheses. I deleted all of the internal spaces by hand, and then I finally saw:
    Doru Malaia - 230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions (.wav) (.gig)
    in the Giga folder tree. I'm thinking to myself, "my god, I have never seen such a downright bitchy program before in all my life..." but, hey, at least I had the problem solved.

Sort of...

CHAPTER II:

For some reason, I can only get Giga to recognize one .gig file out of the 230 subfolders in the "230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions" folder.

I opened up the first subfolder, called "ADODO." I opened up the "Distributed Wave Instrument" window, and mapped each of the 6 sounds on to five consecutive white keys (30 white keys total), so that I could do "press rolls" with my fingers on the keyboard. I could audition all of the sounds, no problem. I clicked on "export to .gig" and named the file "Adodo - 5x6 notes - w.gig," which I saved in the ADODO subfolder.

It worked just fine. I searched for .gig files in the "230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions" folder and found my one .gig file. I could drag it into a channel, and play it. Great.

I went to the next subfolder, entitled "AFOXE." I went through the same routine, mapping the 15 sounds onto the black and white keys in a Distributed Wave Instrument, and exporting to a .gig file named "Afoxe - 4x15 notes - bw.gig," which I saved in the AFOXE subfolder.

Then I searched for .gig files in the "230 Ethnic Drums and Percussions" folder... and found *only* the second .gig file ("Afoxe") that I had created. I could drag it into a channel, and play it just fine... but the "Adodo" .gig file was nowhere to be seen.

The "Adodo" .gig file was still in the ADODO folder, as I verified in Windows Explorer. When I double-clicked the "Adodo" .gig file, it launched Giga's editor. But it wouldn't appear in the the folder tree, and when I tried to drag the .gig file from Windows Explorer into Giga, everything just froze.

I went through this a few times, creating new .gig files with the .wavs from different subfolders. Each time, Giga let me create a new .gig file from the .wavs in the new subdirectory. Each time it would show (and let me launch and play) the newest .gig file, but none of the previous ones.

I thought "maybe it has something to do with spaces again, so I renamed the .gig files to look like "Afoxe_4x15_notes_bw.gig."

Now Giga crashes every time it tries to refresh the QS database... and it hadn't even done that for almost two weeks.......

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG???

[collapses in the corner, sobbing]

alanb

Re: Problems creating .gig files from Doru Malaia DVD .wavs

First, I'd remove everything related to the Doru CD from your sample drive and get QuickSound healthy again. You might need to do a Checkdisk as well, just to make sure you're starting from a healthy state.

Next, I'd recommend against doing a big batch of work before doing a proof of concept on a small number of instruments. Once you've got it down, then expand it to include the whole works.

Personally, I haven't been doing distributed waves. I've been making gigs in the editor. I haven't done many. I've been using brute force. But it's all been solid on my machine. I like baby steps, until I've worked out a system.

Best of luck!

-JF

I've got the DM package on the way and am planning the same thing,
    but will be doing the work in editor.

Thanks for the info on the names.
    I'll clean that all up first.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Thanks for the info on the names.
    I'll clean that all up first.
    I didn't find any problem with the names when working in the editor. The filenames seem okay. I think the names mentioned above are in the metadata of the wave files.

-JF

Well, I was ultimately able to make .gigs out of the rest of the DM .wavs, in the "Distributed Wave Instrument" window.

I put 2-or-more of each .wav on consecutive keys, to be able to play fast multiple repeats without the "machine-gun effect." Is there an easier, or more graceful, way to accomplish this by creating the .gig files in the editor?

Strangely enough... each time that I finished creating a bunch of .gig files, and wanted to make sure that they worked, I rebuilt the QS database. Sometimes the entire database would display in the Giga folder tree, and sometimes *only* the folder containing the new .gig files would be there... even though I watched the name of each and every .gig and .wav file in every folder flash by during the 3-4 minutes that it took to build up the entire database. Two or three re-rebuilds later, I'd finally see the entire database, with the new .gig files and everything.

I've gotta laugh . . . I've just gotta laugh . . .

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Alan,

You have one of two problems when QuickSound hangs or crashes on a database rebuild. Either a GIG/GSF/GSI/PRF file on your drive has become corrupted or the database file itself. The latter is easier to fix. Just delete the database, and Giga will rebuild it next time you start the app.

If it hangs again, it's the former. Note what file name is being scanned when the hang occurs. That will be the offending, corrupted GIG file. Delete it and reload it from your original media, and you'll be good to go.

What was the time between your order and when you received the package?
    It's been 12 days for me and they're not answering emails.

Thanks,

The disc was shipped (as evidenced by the Romanian postmark) the day after my cc was billed.

The disc arrived about 8 days later.

I wouldn't worry just yet -- they may wait until they have enough orders amassed to justify a trip to the Galaty Post Office... plus, I've seen packages take longer to get cross-country, let alone across the world...

Fingers crossed,

Alan

Thanks Alan!
    Good info.

Thumbs up Re: Problems creating .gig files from Doru Malaia DVD .wavs

Hey, I saw the comment about time spent renaming files by hand. Although it seems filenames were not your actual problem here, I just wanted to reply with a link to the best file renaming tool I've ever seen:

1-4a Rename

It's free and very powerful. Should save a lot of time when renaming lots of files...
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum