• Help

Topic: Looking Upwards (Eq'd Strings)

Share/Bookmark

Looking Upwards (Eq'd Strings)

Looking Upwards

Length: 6m49s
    Size: 10mb
    Bitrate: 192kbit

Not sure if this piece is appropriate to the forum (more electronic than orchestral in timbre), but I used GPO for all the strings (the lead role) and eq'd them pretty heavily for a nice effect. Thought I'd share.

Other synths were Atmosphere, SoHa Sonata, and Stylus RMX.

Download

- Tucker

Re: Looking Upwards (Eq'd Strings)

Heck, *anything* is appropriate to this forum... lol. Welcome aboard!

I'll say frankly I don't much care for the sound of the strings -- I think you might consider taking the buzz-saw edge off of them. I'm not carping about "electronic" sounds-- to me it just feels/sounds inconsistent with the smooth, slick coloristic work of the piece, otherwise.

But the piece!

Very well done, Tucker, loved it!

Bring on some more... this is solid work.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks eTLux,

I'm actually coming from the electronic strings side and needed something that stood out better in the mix than the strings by themselves and wanted certain otherwise-absent frequencies in the mix.

BTW, I took a listen to your "Ascension". Very effective and especially enjoyable! Downloading others now.

Thanks!

- Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by tuckermc
    Thanks eTLux,

I'm actually coming from the electronic strings side and needed something that stood out better in the mix than the strings by themselves and wanted certain otherwise-absent frequencies in the mix.

BTW, I took a listen to your "Ascension". Very effective and especially enjoyable! Downloading others now.

Thanks!

- Tucker
    Remember -- this is only *my* opinion! And figure I'm an old fossil who writes nothing but orchestral music... lol -- so my ear probably runs accordingly.

Thanks for the good word on Ascension, Tucker... one of my tamer pieces, though. Try Lucifer And Gandhi.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nice work Tucker!!

Although I'm not a fan of Electronica, there were allot of good elements here.
    I might begin your piece at 0.38 though...It seemed to take off at that point.

just a thought

...and welcome to the Forum

~jeff

Tucker:

I'll go with Et lux on the strings. All that he said plus there seems to be a definite break from note to note. Was that intentional or did you want a LEGATO playback? My opinion is that SWEEPING strings would be a nice effect since that is the way your other sounds appear.

The other sounds (instruments) are really great and the percussion sounds are awesome.

Welcome, and thanks for posting this composition.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum