• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Organ Concerto" (Excerpt from third movement)

Share/Bookmark

"Organ Concerto" (Excerpt from third movement)

Fellow Music Peeps,

Here is an excerpt from the third movement of the only organ concerto that I ever wrote.

All of the instruments are from the Garritan Personal Orchestra sample library. Kontakt 2 is my sample player and I sequenced with Sonar 5.

My best to everyone,

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Organ Concerto" (Excerpt from third movement)

Nice melodies, Larry ol' chap

Some of the writing doesn't really sound idomatic to organ (that's not necessarily a bad thing)...

One of the MAJOR no-no things folks do when writing for organ is to treat it like a piano and forget that there are THREE lines available for use (LH, RH and the feet... a good organist can play almost a well with her or his feet as they can with a hand!)

What I'm hearing here is mostly manuals only or 1 hand and pedal... there is so MUCH more available and such a greater richness when writing for 3 lines..

Try it...

Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Nice melodies, Larry ol' chap

Some of the writing doesn't really sound idomatic to organ (that's not necessarily a bad thing)...

One of the MAJOR no-no things folks do when writing for organ is to treat it like a piano and forget that there are THREE lines available for use (LH, RH and the feet... a good organist can play almost a well with her or his feet as they can with a hand!)

What I'm hearing here is mostly manuals only or 1 hand and pedal... there is so MUCH more available and such a greater richness when writing for 3 lines..

Try it...
    In this composition, I have two manuals and pedals going simultaneously. I can't do more than that. It takes a helluva pair of speakers to hear the pedals but they are there.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

OK...

I'll take your word for it - I was listening on the headphones so I wouldn't wake the wife

Mebbe Later I'll plug it into the Big Daddys

Thumbs up Re: "Organ Concerto" (Excerpt from third movement)

I'm listening on the big daddy's and I can tell you--this is FANTASTIC!!!!!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I'm listening on the big daddy's and I can tell you--this is FANTASTIC!!!!!

-Chris
    Thank you, young man. Now...study hard and mind your manners and your Mama.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Great job on this, Larry!

Point taken on the pedal, when listening on headphones.

I generally slap some EQ on the bottom to compensate for the weakness in the lower groin on a lot of headphones -- but even that doesn't pull it out.

You need to crank Larry's pieces like this up on the real deal, and let those woofers vibrate your intestines... lol.

Otherwise, you miss half the fun!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for giving it a listen, Mr. Dave. I'll post more of this work when I can "Garritanize" it.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum