• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: 3 pieces for VSL VI woodwinds

Share/Bookmark

3 new demos for VSL VI woodwinds

I just did 3 pieces to test out the lyric potential of new VSL VI solo flute, clarinet and bassoon. I'm pleased with the results.

Thanks for listening.

Best,
    Jay

1) Syrinx for solo flute by Claude Debussy
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player.aspx?DemoId=4668&Lang=2

2) Fatasiestueck for clarinet and piano by Robert Schumann
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player.aspx?DemoId=4669&Lang=2

3) Sonata for bassoon and piano by Camille Saint-Saens
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player.aspx?DemoId=4670&Lang=2

Re: 3 pieces for VSL VI woodwinds

IMO, the woods are the strongest part in VSL (not counting those epic horns of course). It sounds very, very good. If only they hadn't invented this VI, too bad..

Apart from the price - the VI is the best thing to happen to VSL samples!

Quote Originally Posted by Markus S
    IMO, the woods are the strongest part in VSL (not counting those epic horns of course). It sounds very, very good. If only they hadn't invented this VI, too bad..
    I doubt that it could be done in this way without the VI.

D

It's great as always, VSL and the programming.

But i have a question for you and those who own VI, VSL claims to have reprogrammed a lot of the samples and I'm sure they did, but did you notice any change in the Violins legato p-f. The reason I'm asking is I've notice that those legato patch were a little weak as oppose to the ones in Chamber strings.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    It's great as always, VSL and the programming.

But i have a question for you and those who own VI, VSL claims to have reprogrammed a lot of the samples and I'm sure they did, but did you notice any change in the Violins legato p-f. The reason I'm asking is I've notice that those legato patch were a little weak as oppose to the ones in Chamber strings.

Thanks.
    There are now other options, that you can use, and stacking in various formats is easier than ever, so you could easily have a different sound for every note if you liked.

I find the perf legato a little sterile, so I add a little something to it to make it sing more. However, for some things it is great.

The other thing is that there are now five (I think) different legato patches for Violin Ensemble, so there is plenty of choice,

D

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Apart from the price - the VI is the best thing to happen to VSL samples!
    Yes, maybe for you, you are using 5-6 DAWs anyway, I believe -- I don't. In addition, I don't like to keyswitch, it is faster for me to copy and paste to another track. I don't like the the dongle protection stuff either, just read the horror stories about people who can't deliver in last minite for a project, because their registration has gone (they don't want to ruin the buisness of their clients, do they?). And I have my doubts how the performance, loading times, polyphony etc are. If I buy a GS lib, I know what I get, I know that it'll work very well, I don't know that if I buy a VSL lib now (just look at the installation problem topics an the VSL forum). I am using alot of VSL now, and I love especially the winds, but I doubt I'll update one day to the VI.
    Before I could just buy a VSL lib and add it to the rest of my samples and production methodes, know I'll have to install a new player, I have to get whole sections etc. I loved the turn they were taking with the horizon series, too bad (for me) it didn't continue.

Anyway, that is my POV, glad if works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I doubt that it could be done in this way without the VI.

D
    Maybe, anyway, not to sound subversive.. those demos demonstrate the power of the VSL VI, but if I'd wanted to sound that real, I'd hire a clarinet player, this is even more real. IMO the use of samples makes the most sense in the context of a huge orchestra, anyway something that would be too expensive to hire for real. What is the point to have perfect solo parts, in the whole of the orchestra mix -- you wouldn't hear them anyway that precisly (it also would take too much time to programm all the parts this way to deliver fast to a client).
    I am looking very much forward to the evolution legato scripts will take us : No more gigantic files, endless articulations, and still very good performance.

Yes, maybe for you, you are using 5-6 DAWs anyway, I believe -- I don't. [...]
    To me it seemed by reading some reports that performance and RAM usage of the VI is better than for the common sampler counterparts (I don't know about loading times though). Am I mistaken?

Yes, maybe for you, you are using 5-6 DAWs anyway, I believe -- I don't. In addition, I don't like to keyswitch, it is faster for me to copy and paste to another track. I don't like the the dongle protection stuff either, just read the horror stories about people who can't deliver in last minite for a project, because their registration has gone (they don't want to ruin the buisness of their clients, do they?). And I have my doubts how the performance, loading times, polyphony etc are. If I buy a GS lib, I know what I get, I know that it'll work very well, I don't know that if I buy a VSL lib now (just look at the installation problem topics an the VSL forum). I am using alot of VSL now, and I love especially the winds, but I doubt I'll update one day to the VI.
    In order to do a lot of what the VI does on separate tracks you would have to make extensive use of ghost notes and mixing. The beauty of the VI is that as it is all on one track (there are exceptions) this is already taken care of, so if you like to play live then the dynamics of all the articulations match.

I can understand that you don't like dongles, but unfortunately most music software seems to be going that way. I think that one of the reasons that VSL moved away from GS was that although Tascam was quite happy to protect their product with CP they didn't seem to mind that the sample developers were getting ripped off. Of the big sequence and audio application manufacturers I think only Cakewalk doesn't use a dongle.

The loading times are much faster than in GS and the sample engine (by my unscientific tests) is almost 100% more efficient. The downside is that I can't leave a template loaded in the same way as I used to with GS.

I also think that the installation problem is not huge. Firstly it seems to be mostly on Macs, and secondly in the grand scheme of things it is a very small number.

By all means leave it a while as there certainly are teething problems for a few people, but if you like the VSL woodwinds, then you'll love VI.

D

Go Back to forum