• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Why Kontakt?

Share/Bookmark

Why Kontakt?

Why do people love kontakt soooo much? Is it the military green color that appeals to boys? Is it the fashionable thing to do these? It can't be just the script, can it? What is it? Why? Why?Why?

Re: Why Kontakt?

The half-way descent (for me, atleast) universal converter, is really what made me purchase it along with scripting. I really wouldn't say anyone in their right mind LOVES the program, considering that currently, there is very little to love in relation with your GS3. Perhaps it's a bit more stable, but I think that may be a myth as well...

FYI, the conversion of my Giga files has been unuseable.

Again, Kontakt makes it extremely easy to edit your samples and patches. There's just tons more editing capabilities, and not only is it in VST so you can load the samples with the song, but also the editor is right there in the player; so you can make different changes for every song.

If you're the type who just wants to load up some orchestra patches and do no editing at all (which is a perfectly valid standpoint), then Kontakt probably just isn't meant for your workflow. Giga's rock solid for that, and supposedly is even more reliable and capable for when you start loading tons and tons of samples in ROM. So it really just depends on what you're trying to do, in my opinion.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

I am backing up Roget on this one, as well as the fact that I am on a Mac, and I don't prefer EXS. So Kontakt it is! If you own a lot of kompakt libraries as well, K2 is a logical and justified buy.

Sean Beeson

I just prefer the plug-in workflow, and a lot of my "go to" libs are in Kontakt (or the ubiquitous player) format.

I am not a particular fan of the interface. I don't get why the window doesn't have more flexible resizing, or why the panes in the interface don't have more flexible resizing. I also don't get why I can't get more than about 150 stereo voices out of it, despite having a pretty screaming system.

For me it was a simple choice. I purchased gigastudio 3 - after making the decision to go softsampler - and it crashed my system upon bootup - every single time - blue screen of death - and there was no fix after weeks of tech support calls . . .

. . . so I bought Kontakt 2 - and it works great!!! Then I bought lots and lots of Kontakt 2 sample collections - now I will STAY with Kontakt 2 because of my investments with these sample collections - that and I can use Kontakt 2 in my productions will minimal or no glitches.

Simple choice actually. At the time - those were the two big players. Sampletank was not really an option and I am not a Mac user (Win XP) - so MOTU was out (not to mention the fact that their Symphonic plugin ALSO refused to work when all other vsti instruments and sample collections WORKED). Yellow Tools was only HINTING at independence. Those were really the only sampler choices I could find at the time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by aplanchard
    FYI, the conversion of my Giga files has been unuseable.
    With the above caveat, K2 is great for loading up a relatively small sample set and/or tweaking/sound design. In my opinion, it is best suited for this purpose. It also comes with a generous, high-quality library.

For large orchestra templates, I prefer to run Giga on a separate PC and pipe it in via ADAT (I'm on a Mac). Works great with no noticeable latency.

Thanks everyone.

I'm curious, what patch worked best for you?

I think it's more of an issue of Giga-hate. Anyone who's a Mac user hasn't had access to Giga but has been able to use Kontakt so of course that's what they'll recommend. I think Giga coming out for the Mac and in a VST version will change a lot of the negative attitude.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast