• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: keyboard velocity

Share/Bookmark

OT: keyboard velocity

I'm currently shopping for a new master keyboard, which made me wonder something..

MIDI velocity can range from 0 to 127, but will keyboards/synths also detect 128 different playing pressures or do they only sense coarser steps? Something like 10 different pressures, outputting velocities of e.g. 10, 20, 30, 40, etc..

I'm talking about what a keyboard outputs via it's MIDI OUT, apart from how many velocities it's internal sounds may have..

Thanks.

Re: OT: keyboard velocity

Hi,

if you have a notebook you can use a test program that I built for exactly that purpose (it can not only test velocities but various kinds of midi events). Here a link to a short English description. (If you don't own Synthmaker here some links to already exported versions: The Windows Standalone Version (you can choose your MIDI-Device in the menu) and a VST-Plugin that has to be applied between the MIDI-Input and the MIDI-In of a synth in your host program). Velocity detection is enabled by default so you don't have to change anything in the lower lists.

Greetings,
    NothanUmber

Well, when I look at recorded midi notes in my sequencer, the velocities appear totally random. So it's either a lack of talent, or my Roland RD600 has some kind of "overhumanizing" feature built in

Seriously though, my Roland definitely senses 127 different velocity values and I have yet to encounter a keyboard that doesn't.

Hi,
    I made a Kontakt2 script to test keyboard velocity which I would gladly share if you're interested. Just send me a PM.
    The results were pretty depressing for my Elka mk88 , I think I have to buy a new keyboard...

Ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by kotori
    ...The results were pretty depressing for my Elka mk88 , I think I have to buy a new keyboard...

Ignorance is bliss.
    I have always been totally happy with the velocity response from my Elka MK88 II (but, as you say, "Ignorance is bliss"! )
    Were your findings depressing with all of the Elka's available velocity curves?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france
    I have always been totally happy with the velocity response from my Elka MK88 II (but, as you say, "Ignorance is bliss"! )
    Were your findings depressing with all of the Elka's available velocity curves?
    It seems to be more or less the same with all curves. Here's what it looks like. The empty space is velocities that I couldn't trigger. Basically there are 4-5 velocities between the ones I did trigger that cannot be played. I get depressed to see so many unpressed...

Ah, I see what you mean, now. (I was expecting to see some irregular curves)
    Might be worth my while trying your script, see if I get the same results here.
    I'll send you a PM with my email address.

My god
    If you have TBO, you may never trigger some samples...
    With this kind of keyboard, 31 layers is a total waste...

I have a hard time believing that this is an accurate result . Did you doublecheck that by playing a couple of notes in your sequencer?

My SL-880 got everything in the middle area. Very spaced out in the upper. Nothing in the lower area (less than 48) except 2 and even that was a struggle to get. I already knew the limitations from viewing the mapping window in kontakt while playing, so I was already disappointed.

I really like to see what other weighed keyboards are getting!

Go Back to forum